Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Greenhorn seeking advice

All things reloading here
Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Greenhorn seeking advice

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Howdy from the Ozarks. I am seeking advice from you experienced reloaders out there. Years ago when my Dad and uncle shot competition trap , we reloaded a ton of shot shells and I helped my uncle do some reloading of rifle and pistol ammo. Lot of water under the bridge since then. I have become interested again since purchasing a .45 LC and awaiting a .45-70. Factory ammo limited and expensive off the shelf I have found , at least in my area. Don't really know where to start on gathering all the components and equipment to start reloading these two calibers. Also figure I need a good reloading manual. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I should clarify I do have several stores and have seen many online retailers where I can purchase bullets,brass,powder,primers. Need advice mainly on the equipment I would need Thanks
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Greenhorn seeking advice

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 pm

The Dillon website is a start, I don't reload but lots on here do. Hang in there and you'll get some info...
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 pm

RanchRoper wrote:The Dillon website is a start, I don't reload but lots on here do. Hang in there and you'll get some info...
Much obliged Ranch Roper. I will check into it. Just recently found your posts and pictures from Cow Country. Absolutely loved it ! We Ranch down here in Arkansas and I work as a field man for the stockyards down here. Love the life. Nothing quite like seeing the big sky country. Appreciate you sharing your great life out there in the saddle
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Years ago when my Dad and uncle shot competition trap , we reloaded a ton of shot shells and I helped my uncle do some reloading of rifle and pistol ammo.
Having experience, no matter how little is a good thing but I suggest starting with a good manual, and a standard is 'The ABCs Of Reloading' and read it - several times.

Absolutely DO NOT let ANYONE tell you you 'need' a progressive press. If you don't know what a progressive press is take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with what they are and what they are for. In short a progressive is a semi - automated press that is designed to produce extremely high volumes of primarily handgun ammo for high round count shooters such as competitive disciplines as IPSC and IDPA. Bottom line is a progressive press is considerably more specialized, requires different tooling and setup and takes a lot of the 'hands on' away from reloading which is NECESSARY for a beginner to learn and understand.

A lot of guys will suggest starting with a single stage and then "upgrading" to a progressive press later. Chances are, you will never need a progressive. I shoot more than anyone i know and still load all my ammo on a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker but later added a second press, a Bonanza CO-AX (but still single stage) . There are some advantages to having two presses but it is hardly necessary to start with.

I could go into what you need to start with but the most important thing is to study, read the manuals and maybe watch some U-Tube videos but take some of them with a 'Grain of Salt' - and post any questions you may have about something you see that you don't 'understand or agree with.

Reloading is a procedural and repetitive undertaking and requires a certain amount of dedication and commitment to be successful. It's something you want to 'schedule' time to do frequently and not just a few times a year.

Don't feel you need to have EVERYTHING you see to begin with. There are some basics you will need to get started and as you gain experience you can decide on what additional tools or items you may need for the particular procedures you develop - every one has different reloading procedures and certain items or accessories may be right for one but not for another.

For instance one of MY procedures is to deprime & size all my brass BEFORE cleaning as I have gone to the liquid tumbling system and it ensures my primer pockets are sparkling (as well as the rest of the case) . Then I prime and store the brass so I have a ready supply for charging with powder and seating bullets. This works for me but others may do things differently. The rule of thumb is to develop a system and stick with it. Minor corrections and processes might deviate but you want to stick to a basic plan.

OK - enough of my pontification - someone else please jump in any time!
Last edited by Mistered on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm

having loaded shotshells you already have an understanding of the basics ... one of the first decisions I'd recommend making is do you want to start with a single stage or progressive press .... my recommendation would be to try and find some folks near you who reload and spend some time with them .... the more the better .... if you don't know of any hand loaders, local gun shops might be a good source for names .... you can literally spend all you want to spend on equipment .... reading through threads in our reloading area should offer some good info .... much is subjective, Ford vs Chevy type preferences .... both can get you to the store and back but some folks will strongly argue that they one they like is the best and the other isn't worth much at all
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 pm

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4432

I received a LOT of great advice and comments in this thread here awhile back, these guys know their stuff so have a look.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 pm

My advice would be get a single stage press kit. All reloading equipment manufacturers offer kits that include everything you need to start apart from dies.
Budget will no doubt dictate the choice a bit but in all honesty there isn't a lot between most brands and even the cheapest Lee gear will still turn out ammo as accurate as the more expensive brands.
If you cant pick on brand just pick your favourite colour, red, blue, green or orange.
0 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:07 am

Congratulations on your new hobby. A reloading manual should be your first purchase. When people ask me how difficult it is to handload ammo I tell them"If you can make Hamburger Helper you can handload ammo." Think of your reloading manual as a cookbook. Just follow the recepie.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:16 am

Mistered wrote:
Years ago when my Dad and uncle shot competition trap , we reloaded a ton of shot shells and I helped my uncle do some reloading of rifle and pistol ammo.
Having experience, no matter how little is a good thing but I suggest starting with a good manual, and a standard is 'The ABCs Of Reloading' and read it - several times.

Absolutely DO NOT let ANYONE tell you you 'need' a progressive press. If you don't know what a progressive press is take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with what they are and what they are for. In short a progressive is a semi - automated press that is designed to produce extremely high volumes of primarily handgun ammo for high round count shooters such as competitive disciplines as IPSC and IDPA. Bottom line is a progressive press is considerably more specialized, requires different tooling and setup and takes a lot of the 'hands on' away from reloading which is NECESSARY for a beginner to learn and understand.

A lot of guys will suggest starting with a single stage and then "upgrading" to a progressive press later. Chances are, you will never need a progressive. I shoot more than anyone i know and still load all my ammo on a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker but later added a second press, a Bonanza CO-AX (but still single stage) . There are some advantages to having two presses but it is hardly necessary to start with.

I could go into what you need to start with but the most important thing is to study, read the manuals and maybe watch some U-Tube videos but take some of them with a 'Grain of Salt' - and post any questions you may have about something you see that you don't 'understand or agree with.

Reloading is a procedural and repetitive undertaking and requires a certain amount of dedication and commitment to be successful. It's something you want to 'schedule' time to do frequently and not just a few times a year.

Don't feel you need to have EVERYTHING you see to begin with. There are some basics you will need to get started and as you gain experience you can decide on what additional tools or items you may need for the particular procedures you develop - every one has different reloading procedures and certain items or accessories may be right for one but not for another.

For instance one of MY procedures is to deprime & size all my brass BEFORE cleaning as I have gone to the liquid tumbling system and it ensures my primer pockets are sparkling (as well as the rest of the case) . Then I prime and store the brass so I have a ready supply for charging with powder and seating bullets. This works for me but others may do things differently. The rule of thumb is to develop a system and stick with it. Minor corrections and processes might deviate but you want to stick to a basic plan.

OK - enough of my pontification - someone else please jump in any time!
Thank you much sir ! I really appreciate your time for a very detailed and helpful response. I will be heeding your advice and will start with getting the manual you suggested and studying it thoroughly. Great post and thanks again.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:26 am

JEBar wrote:having loaded shotshells you already have an understanding of the basics ... one of the first decisions I'd recommend making is do you want to start with a single stage or progressive press .... my recommendation would be to try and find some folks near you who reload and spend some time with them .... the more the better .... if you don't know of any hand loaders, local gun shops might be a good source for names .... you can literally spend all you want to spend on equipment .... reading through threads in our reloading area should offer some good info .... much is subjective, Ford vs Chevy type preferences .... both can get you to the store and back but some folks will strongly argue that they one they like is the best and the other isn't worth much at all
Thank you sir. I appreciate your input. I think I will start by getting a good manual as Mistered suggested and studying it thoroughly and as you suggested visit with folks who are experienced reloaders.
0 x