Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Greenhorn seeking advice

All things reloading here
Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Greenhorn seeking advice

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 am

Abnermal wrote:Congratulations on your new hobby. A reloading manual should be your first purchase. When people ask me how difficult it is to handload ammo I tell them"If you can make Hamburger Helper you can handload ammo." Think of your reloading manual as a cookbook. Just follow the recepie.
Thank you much. I will make getting a good manual my first priority
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:31 am

RanchRoper wrote:http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4432

I received a LOT of great advice and comments in this thread here awhile back, these guys know their stuff so have a look.
Appreciate it much and I sure will. All you folks have been very helpful.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:24 am

my recommendation would be to try and find some folks near you who reload and spend some time with them
Great advice - if you can find someone. Back in 'the day ' I was pretty much on my own but a friend and I were getting into it at the same time so we were able to 'bounce' our experiences off one another.
Like anything however there are far too many people who will offer reloading advice - and have never reloaded a round in their life - so be vigilant of those who you may encounter (such as in LGSs, Sporting good stores etc.) and this is why I suggested posting questions about anything that you may hear that seems wrong or incorrect.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:33 am

A lot depends on your personal proclivities. Some folks are only comfortable with high end tools. Some only want to get by with the cheapest thing they can get their hands on. Some have to have all the bells and whistles, and others the bare minimum.

I would echo not starting off with a progressive. Too many things going on at once while you are trying to get your head wrapped around the process. A decent single stage, or even a turret is a good press to start out on.

A manual is a good place to start. Don't be intimidated by the big thick book. Most of the book is data tables.

Most folks obsess about the press. It is the heart of the reloading process, but I can tell you from my experience, that powder measuring gives me the most grief. A decent powder measure and accurate scale are a must.

The most important aspect of reloading is your attitude. You must approach it with the idea of doing things by the numbers and not cutting corners on quality control.

And don't forget to get a bullet puller. You WILL need one for those mistakes.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:33 pm

A resource that I use is the "One Caliber, One Book" series from Loadbooks USA, each listing a single cartridge with loading data compiled from major bullet and powder manufacturers.
Is great to be able to see load data from multiple sources in one book.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:A resource that I use is the "One Caliber, One Book" series from Loadbooks USA, each listing a single cartridge with loading data compiled from major bullet and powder manufacturers.
Is great to be able to see load data from multiple sources in one book.
I use those as well and they can be very helpful .... what they don't do is give you much info on loading equipment .... you would be well served to take a look at the YouTube video "Reloading Basics (Decisions To Make)" by hickok 45 (link below) .... you can't go wrong with the info he provides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irC3NuIKDm4
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks again to all you good folks who have replied to this post. Great information and advice and I certainly appreciate it. I feel pretty well armed to progress on.
0 x

.45Steel
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by .45Steel » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:31 pm

It's been a few years since I was right where you are. I asked advice on forums about which manufacturer, single stage, turret, progressive, ect. I received so much advice that I was really confused. One piece of advise that was repetitious was, get a manual and read it. Well, I had already done that, 3 of them as a matter of fact. I was ready to start buying equipment. Aside from some Fanboys telling what color, I ended buying a single stage kit + some extra necessities because the majority steered me in that direction. I've added 1 more press to my bench since then for a dedicated flare and charge press. I went low budget in case I didn't care for reloading.That didn't happen. I became addicted. It's been a few years..more than I care to admit but one thing has stayed the same. I still use that same equipment and have never felt the need to make more ammo faster. Take your time and never be afraid to ask a "stupid question" There is no such thing. Good Luck to you!
0 x
H010G 45-70
H012 .45 Colt
H001TER .22

.45Steel
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by .45Steel » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:35 pm

It's been a few years since I was right where you are. I asked advice on forums about which manufacturer, single stage, turret, progressive, ect. I received so much advice that I was really confused. One piece of advise that was repetitious was, get a manual and read it. Well, I had already done that, 3 of them as a matter of fact. I was ready to start buying equipment. Aside from some Fanboys telling what color, I ended buying a single stage kit + some extra necessities because the majority steered me in that direction. I've added 1 more press to my bench since then for a dedicated flare and charge press. I went low budget in case I didn't care for reloading.That didn't happen. I became addicted. It's been a few years..more than I care to admit but one thing has stayed the same. I still use that same equipment and have never felt the need to make more ammo faster. I know how much and what is in each and every round. Take your time and never be afraid to ask a "stupid question" There is no such thing. Good Luck to you!
3 x
H010G 45-70
H012 .45 Colt
H001TER .22

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:45 pm

I still use that same equipment and have never felt the need to make more ammo faster. I know how much and what is in each and every round.
Ditto this. While I have modified some of my processes, techniques etc. I am still loading essentially the way I started. I added a 2nd press later but it was used and given to me. I had actually been considering a 2nd press but it's hardly necessary for starting out.
In all my years of reloading I have determined two reasons one should NEVER consider reloading - purely as a cost saving measure AND out of the 'fear' of 'current events' causing shortages or unavailability of ammo. While the 2nd has been a reality I have read of many who bought up equipment out of a potential 'concern' a couple years ago which did not happen. Funny thing is a LOT of this equipment and supplies have made it to the want ads, unused and at about 50% of what they originally paid and depending on the equipment some of this started out pretty high.
Like I have said before I shoot more than anyone I know and have no problems keeping up with my ammo needs with single stage equipment.
1 x