Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.45LC Stock; & possible ammo shipping issue?

All things reloading here
PT7
Drover
United States of America

.45LC Stock; & possible ammo shipping issue?

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:51 pm

~~~The just-for-fun part.
Received a gold shipment today of 100 rounds Aguila .45LC ammo, 200gr, cowboy-action. Along with my 50 rounds of HSM --- also 200gr, cowboy-action --- now have a stock total of 250 gold rounds! And have 5 rounds left of Hornady CD 180gr FTX ammo from shooting my derringer. I sure have a way to go in order to get my stock to the amount RR has up north, don't I ?!? :lol:
Glad to have a stock start on this fun-to-shoot caliber.

~~~OK, now a Q about what I think may be is a shipping/handling issue.
Aguila shipped the 200 rounds using FedEx. I've had this happen before with this carrier. The ammo was left on the ground at the front door of my apartment, no knock at door, no signature required. With all the concern about gun safety, not to even consider the money invested in the ammo sitting on the concrete, should ammo be delivered like that? I don't think so, but don't know if there any regulations covering that. Probably need to research the regs.

Should I notify one or the other companies about this? FedEx or Aguila?
Thanks for any advice or wisdom you may offer.
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: .45LC Stock; & possible ammo shipping issue?

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm

You can always request to have your shipment made to a Walgreen's or other FedEx drop off facility if you're not sure about the safety of getting the ammo left on your front door. You can easily do that from the FedEx shipping manager. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/ho ... ation.html
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks, Jake. Your suggestion makes good sense, and is less of a hassle, too.
I have a large FedEx store about 10 minutes from my place, and I've used them to ship firearms before.
I'll give them a call....easier to discuss via phone, if they'll work with me that way. The web has too many side trails for me! ;)
PT7
Shakey Jake wrote:You can always request to have your shipment made to a Walgreen's or other FedEx drop off facility if you're not sure about the safety of getting the ammo left on your front door. You can easily do that from the FedEx shipping manager. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/ho ... ation.html
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:20 pm

I doubt the FedEx delivery driver would know the contents of what he was delivering. Ammo is supposed to ship in a plain box. I'm surprised that who ever you bought the ammo from didn't require FedEx to get your signature upon delivery. Shakey has good advice and you got a local FedEx close by.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Mags wrote:I doubt the FedEx delivery driver would know the contents of what he was delivering. Ammo is supposed to ship in a plain box. I'm surprised that who ever you bought the ammo from didn't require FedEx to get your signature upon delivery. Shakey has good advice and you got a local FedEx close by.
I thought all ammo shipped required a Labled ID of it's contents. I have shipped reloads via UPS and it ALWAYS required this label on the package and a signature for receipt. All ammo I have purchased online has been delivered by UPS and also included this ID. UPS requires a declaration of contents. The last time I shipped ammo via UPS, I was actually required to open the package for inspection. I was very happy to.
ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms Label.jpg
ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms Label.jpg (39.68 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Mags wrote:I doubt the FedEx delivery driver would know the contents of what he was delivering. Ammo is supposed to ship in a plain box. I'm surprised that who ever you bought the ammo from didn't require FedEx to get your signature upon delivery. Shakey has good advice and you got a local FedEx close by.
The box would have a "ORD" label on it so, yes, they probably do know that it's ammo, powder, or primers.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Appreciate you noting that CT...thanks. :) I'd forgotten that detail. Yes, the ammo came in a plain cardboard box, and had a large ORM-D label on one side. If the driver didn't know what that meant and what he was delivering, the problem is more "duh." So that detail will be most helpful when I chat with FedEx.
CT_Shooter wrote:I thought all ammo shipped required a Labled ID of it's contents. I have shipped reloads via UPS and it ALWAYS required this label on the package and a signature for receipt. All ammo I have purchased online has been delivered by UPS and also included this ID. UPS requires a declaration of contents. The last time I shipped ammo via UPS, I was actually required to open the package for inspection. I was very happy to.
Shakey Jake wrote:The box would have a "ORD" label on it so, yes, they probably do know that it's ammo, powder, or primers.
1 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:15 pm

I have all of mine shipped UPS to a UPS Store outlet for pickup by me. That way I know it's safe until in my hands. I also live rural and in Canada ammo cannot ship by post.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Looked up the Federal Code of Regulations. An ORM-D label is required for shipping a lot different kinds of hazardous materials. What's odd is that only the label for small arms ammunition requires a declaration of content on the ORM-D label. In shipping non-ammo, where an ORM-D is required, shipments should not identify the contents. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label and shipping document, must be non-descriptive. One would think that it should be unlabeled likewise for ammo shipments, lowers risk of theft.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Yup, there are a lot of ins/outs to my inquiry, particularly in regard to regulations.

The other aspect still bothers me, however. My apartment door is ground-level, first door in a walk-through breezeway just a short distance from the parking lot. In fact, my door is easily seen from the parking lot. No matter what's in the box left by the door, it is a target for someone to pick up and walk away with. In this case, fairly spendy .45LC ammo. 'Twould be my loss if I couldn't get either FedEx or Aguila to pay me, which I doubt.

I think UPS has delivered packages and also left them outside. But they have dropped them over my patio picket fence next to my window slider door. I can "see that delivery," and the patio area is mostly hidden from view of passersby....unless you put your chin on top of the fence to look. Also the patio gate has my padlock on it. This delivery method is a little better/safer for the merchandise left outside. Anyway, still plan to get with Fed/Ex per Jake's suggestion.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~