Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tried some low power rounds in the "beast"

All things reloading here
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Tried some low power rounds in the "beast"

Post by clovishound » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:11 pm

For those who didn't read, or don't remember the copper fouling thread I posted a while back, I have a Mauser that was converted to 30-06 for the Columbian Army and subsequently modified into a sporter rifle. There appears to be some roughness in the barrel and I have been having accuracy and severe copper fouling issues with it.

Anyway, after purchasing and using some Trail Boss for .38 and .45, I decided to put together some low power loads for the 30-06 and see what happened. I loaded up a handful, topping out mid way through the data. I took them to the range on Tues and tried them out. The accuracy was excellent. At 25 yds, the max at the indoor range we use, I was putting them through the same ragged hole. I may have been a little over a MOA, but not by much.

I still got excessive copper fouling, but it cleaned up relatively quickly compared to the marathon sessions I had with full house loads.

Topping out at nearly 1500 fps with a 150 grain bullet, I don't think these are ideal for hunting, but I might be able to justify using this as a plinking rifle with the reduced loads. It's either that, or replace the barrel. I don't see me lapping it into submission. That operation looks too fraught with perhaps making things worse, rather than better.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya