Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Jesse James Ammo --- is it "honest" stuff?!?

All things reloading here
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Jesse James Ammo --- is it "honest" stuff?!?

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 pm

I know it's not really dishonest, but the ammo name does catch your attention. ;)

While at the Frontier Justice shooting range/LGS earlier today, I checked out their stock of .357 Magnum ammo. Neither this shop nor the nearby Cabelas had much of an assortment of .357 magnum ammo.

However, I did find one interesting brand, which I've never heard of before, nor have I heard of the manufacturer. The brand name is "Jesse James Ammo" and is manufactured by Ammo Incorporated in Scottsdale, AZ.

Here are some info/stats I found on the manufacturer's website. I bought a 20-round box, and I plan to try this ammo with my BBS Carbine, which has the 16.5" barrel. Any comments/info you might have on this ammo is appreciated. Thanks! PT7

Jesse James 357 Magnum 158 gr Jacketed Hollow Point is from the TML (truncated metal cone) line of ammunition.

Description: 357 Magnum 158gr Hollow Point

Weight (Grains): 158

Mzl Vel (fps): 1560

50yd Vel (fps): 1434

Mzl NRG (ft.lb): 865

50yd NRG (ft.lb): 722

Barrel Length: 10"
357158JHP-BOX-768x693.jpg
357158JHP-BOX-768x693.jpg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Jesse James Ammo --- is it "honest" stuff?!?

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:39 pm

We worked with renowned motorcycle/firearm designer and builder Jesse James to create the Jesse James Black Label and Jesse James TML lines of branded pistol and rifle bullets.
I suspected the name was in fact who I though it was and I visited the site and logged off after reading this part. A guy extending his 15 minutes into ammo production now? After looking at the prices for this stuff I'll bet you can find some green box Remington ammo for probably close to 1/3 or less.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:19 am

To be honest, I don't quite understand your response. Are you stating there is something wrong with this ammo?

I have a fairly wide-spread stock of .357 ammo since it is my favorite caliber....whether I shoot my revolvers, or the Henry Big Boys I've had. This ammo configuration is similar to the ammo I used to sight in my Henry BBB .357 back in 2015, and the rifle really "liked" it -- Fiocchi 142gr FMJTC. The TC config is less sharp, less pronounced, than the TML line described on the JJ web site. I think it will possibly load even smoother than the Fiocchi because of this more blunt cone shape. The other factor in this purchase was to try this bullet type moved by 158gr vs. 142gr and see how that goes. Part of my thread inquiry was hopefully to learn if anyone else had used this bullet config in a Big Boy.

As far as pricing, I do understand what you said. However, I have some new .357 ammo that makes cost of this box look almost inexpensive. I enjoy trying out many different types of ammo, especially in revolver defensive calibers. It's just a part of my firearms hobby-land, although admittedly it can be spendy. One thing I don't do is buy a large supply (bulk) of such spendy ammo. I've run the Remington and Win White Box ammo through my Big Boys more often that these "odd-ball" configs. Anyway, I hope someone may know the +/- of this ammo config when used in a Big Boy. Shall see.

Mistered wrote:
We worked with renowned motorcycle/firearm designer and builder Jesse James to create the Jesse James Black Label and Jesse James TML lines of branded pistol and rifle bullets.
I suspected the name was in fact who I though it was and I visited the site and logged off after reading this part. A guy extending his 15 minutes into ammo production now? After looking at the prices for this stuff I'll bet you can find some green box Remington ammo for probably close to 1/3 or less.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:41 am

Are you stating there is something wrong with this ammo?
Nope not at all.
I was simply inferring it is most likely overpriced due to the name connection and ammo of equal quality can most likely be found by a traditional manufacturer for considerably less.
I really wish manufacturers of ammo would include the powder used and the charge weight in their 'specs' of the ammo but then as a reloader this is something I 'relate' to and maybe it's not really important to someone purchasing ammo.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:54 am

It could be argued that Mr. James has a reputation for engaging in business ventures that may not all have been entirely "honest".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James_(customizer)
PT7 wrote:I know it's not really dishonest, but the ammo name does catch your attention. ;)
Mistered wrote:I suspected the name was in fact who I though it was and I visited the site and logged off after reading this part. A guy extending his 15 minutes into ammo production now?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 am

Ah, I finally get what the first response meant to my question.

Neither of you two gentlemen are talking about the .357 Magnum 158gr TML ammo I asked about. Rather, you are talking about a somewhere currently-alive person, a Mr. Jesse James, whose name is on this ammo manufactured by Ammo Incorporated. I did not know about that person when I made what I thought was just a humorous comment about "honest" stuff. I was simply thinking about the train & bank robber who did his thing back in the 1800s....I'd say that historic figure was definitely not "honest!" ;)

That long-gone Jesse James I do know a little about. I live less than 20 miles from his birth town, Kearney, MO. There is of course a museum there, and a restoration of his home -- a tourist attraction. I live in Clay County, and this location is run by the Dept. of Clay County Historic Sites. https://www.claycountymo.gov/Historic_S ... James_Farm

So at this point, I'm still waiting for any info about the ammo.
Have a good day.
PT7

CT_Shooter wrote:It could be argued that Mr. James has a reputation for engaging in business ventures that may not all have been entirely "honest".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James_(customizer)
PT7 wrote:I know it's not really dishonest, but the ammo name does catch your attention. ;)
Mistered wrote:I suspected the name was in fact who I though it was and I visited the site and logged off after reading this part. A guy extending his 15 minutes into ammo production now?
2 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Too bad, I thought it was the real Jesse James and was interested to see if the ammo would "hold up". Probably shouldn't "bank" on it.

Sorry sometimes I just can't help myself. I would have bought some too... :)
4 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Ouch, RR! I'd say your comment needs to be "jailed." :lol:

I'll to remember and let you know how Jesse James shoots when I'm out next time with my Carbine. ;)

RanchRoper wrote:Too bad, I thought it was the real Jesse James and was interested to see if the ammo would "hold up". Probably shouldn't "bank" on it.

Sorry sometimes I just can't help myself. I would have bought some too... :)
1 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:28 am

To each there own and its who I thought it was. But I wouldnt buy a thing with that mans name on it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:51 am

when I made what I thought was just a humorous comment about "honest" stuff. I was simply thinking about the train & bank robber who did his thing back in the 1800s....I'd say that historic figure was definitely not "honest!"
I completely missed this on your first post and like Big Al said (referring to the current 'Jesse James'):
But I wouldnt buy a thing with that mans name on it.
Neither would I.
We worked with renowned motorcycle/firearm designer and builder Jesse James
FIREARM DESIGNER?? The guy wasn't responsible for a rubber band gun let alone a real firearm!!
0 x