Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Lee progressive press

All things reloading here
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

New Lee progressive press

Post by clovishound » Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm

I just found out about the new Lee progressive press, the Lee Breech Lock Pro.

I've toyed with the idea of a progressive press, but between the initial expensive and the problems with mass primer detonations, I could never decide on pulling the trigger on one.

The initial reviews on it seem rather positive. To me the down sides are the linkage doesn't look as beefy as I might like. As a plus, the casting is cast steel. It does not have an automatic primer system, but since I am used the system on the Lee Classic Turret, I should be comfortable with it.

The most attractive thing about it is the price. It can be had for a little over $100. I would have to add a shellplate, and use my existing powder measure. I'm tempted to get one, and if I like it, perhaps buy a second to leave two set up for the calibers I load most of my rounds for.

Case and bullet feeders are available, and are quite affordable, if I want to go that route.

Here's a link.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-prec ... h-lock-pro
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New Lee progressive press

Post by Bugs » Sun May 20, 2018 11:09 am

Save up and get a Dillon 550. I loaded on a single stage Rock Chucker for years before I bought a Dillon. I would NEVER go back to single stage. P.S. I still use the Chucker to load rifle.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 am

Among other things, the Dillons have a reputation for mass detonation of primers. The usual response when someone reports this on a forum is how great Dillon CS is, rather than ask why Dillon hasn't redesigned their primer system to address a known safety issue. Yes, they have an outer steel tube to direct the blast at the ceiling. Not a suitable solution in my book. For some reason, the Hornadys, which have a similar system, don't have the same reputation for blasting a bunch of primers through the ceiling. It might just be the number of Hornadys in use, rather than a safer system. If I were going to spend a lot on a progressive press, I would probably get a Hornady. I don't mind spending the money on a more expensive press, but I'm just not sure I would be happy with either of the big two on the market.

Primer loading seems to be the main bugaboo of progressives. The primer system on the new Lee isn't as fast as on others, but it looks like it should be very reliable, due to it's simplicity, and it is extremely unlikely that more than one primer could go off at any given time. It is basically the same system that is in place on my turret.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun May 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Yikes. Think I'll stick with factory ammo...:)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun May 20, 2018 2:20 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Yikes. Think I'll stick with factory ammo...:)
Well, the mass detonations rarely result in serious injury. The issue is that if a primer ignites at the bottom of the tube, the rest of the primers in the tube will likely go off. The steel tube surrounding the brass primer tube usually does it's job and directs the blast upward. A lot of progressive owners talk about having a hole in the ceiling over their loading bench. I think one issue is that the Dillon primes on the upstroke. There are several operations going on at once and it is much more difficult to feel that something is wrong when a primer is not in proper position/orientation. I believe the Hornady primes on the downstroke, I know the Lee does, and this makes it the only operation going on and makes it easier to feel what is happening.

Reloading is much safer than driving.

You probably should factor in the price of a new pair of underwear after a mass detonation though.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun May 20, 2018 2:39 pm

a Lee Loader was the first I ever used, still have it .... over the years I've used several Lee products and can't remember one not performing OK .... as far as progressive presses go, we chose to go with a Hornady Lock-n-Load .... so long as we do our part, it has performed flawlessly .... we just completed a run of 1,275 rounds of 44 Mag .... among other runs last year it loaded 4,000+ 9mm's, 1,000+ 357's, 1,000+ 44 Mags .... absolutely no safety concerns .... if for some reason we were to need another progressive press, we wouldn't hesitate to get another Hornady
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Yikes. Think I'll stick with factory ammo...
Don't let the reports of primer detonation scare you off. IF you do start reloading You will most likely do so with a single stage press which will never have this problem - and based on the number of rounds you shoot from your range reports you will most likely never need a progressive. Most don't.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun May 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Mistered wrote: Don't let the reports of primer detonation scare you off. IF you do start reloading You will most likely do so with a single stage press which will never have this problem - and based on the number of rounds you shoot from your range reports you will most likely never need a progressive. Most don't.
I agree. I may never outgrow my Lee single stage press. I mostly use it for .357 caliber cases and usually I only shoot one or two hundred rounds per week, so I can easily meet my needs in no time - and enjoy it.

I do tumble, decap, and prime them as soon as I get back from the range, though, and I use a Lee hand priming tool, so priming doesn't factor into the final reloading process for me.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun May 20, 2018 4:05 pm

clovishound wrote:For some reason, the Hornadys, which have a similar system, don't have the same reputation for blasting a bunch of primers through the ceiling.
right up front, I know next to nothing or even less about a Dillon ... consequently, I know nothing about the mechanics of their primer seating operation .... with a Hornady, the seating location for the primer is separated from the primers in the holding tube .... as noted above, the primer is seated on a down stroke .... even if the primer was to ignite, I don't see any way that it could detonate the primers in the tube ....
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 am

Have a hornady and cant fault it, prior to it I used a pro1000 for all my bulk loading.
The quality of the ammo loaded on the lee was every bit as good as that with the hornady but it need constant tweeking to keep it running reliably.
0 x