Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First time Casting

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: First time Casting

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 pm

report appreciated .... while this process is way above my pay grade, I did manage to figure out a few words .. :? .. what I'm looking forward to is your range reports and use impressions
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:09 pm

Got my NOE "ranchdog" Mold 265gr FN GC, tried some casting and it took a little while to get used to the new mold. Also got into trying some powdercoating, the NOE bullet is to the left on this image and its a Tumblelue bullet but tried lubeing them in my lubrisizer and powdercoated to try it out with both gaschecks and without. Middle bullet is a Lee 200gr RNFP, the one to the right is Lee 240gr swc also made for gaschecks.

Tried the loads out at the range in the hurry before the people scheduled at tha range showed up just to see how the cartridges cycled the bullets both lubed and powdercoated performed the same, cant see any signs of leading.

No leading and extremly easy to clean, never used so few patches ever bulletfit is the key when it comes to cast bullets. I sized to .432. Accuracy is good and no leading with a comfortable charge guess its around 1500-1550fps at the muzzle. Tried the same charge with 280grains same bullet lubed with Lee Liquid alox from an older mold at it showed 1500fps.

I shot offhand in a Hurry because we had scheduled shooting session and people began to show up. Will follow up with better info with chrongraph and real benchsupport but I have no doubt in my mind that this is working. Not my best shooting but the precision is there just need some benchsupport to see the real groups. Shot at 25meters with original buckhorn sights.

Cast Ranchdog (NOE) 265grains RF with gaschecks sized to .432, lubed in my lubrisizer

Cast Ranchdog (NOE) 265grains RF with gaschecks sized to .432, Powdercoated, only had time to shoot 4rounds had to pack up
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Those are some good looking bullets.

Even if some of them are purple!
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 2guns » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Go over to cast boolit forum and look up the Captain. Or Alan in Vermont. I've been buying good clean lead BHN around 11.5 to 12 or $75.00 for 50 lbs. I only flux lightly with this lead with a pea sized piece of beeswax. You can drop them in water to make harder but I've found no reason to yet. When I started a few months ago I was going to order from roto metals but now I can just order some antimony for harder if I need it. They take pay pal also so you aren't waiting on checks to clear. I'm about to use up my first 50 lbs but will have 50 more Monday. Good folks and they do this for a living so what you get will be clean.
0 x