Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

44 magnum bullets in my big boy steel

All things reloading here
2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

44 magnum bullets in my big boy steel

Post by 2guns » Fri May 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Going to do some reloading in this new Big Boy steel. Thinking lead in a 12-15 bh at moderate velocity if I can find that bh with a gas check. Jacketed would be fine also. Montana bullets was only place I could find any with gas checks but bh was either 18 or 22. Can't remember right off. My first go at 44 mag but I've loaded lead in the 45 colt with decent accuracy. Actually excellent but laser cast are bh22 and Rimrock are bh18. No gas checks and leading not bad but I've yet to find one mushroom or expand at all. Dug one 9 inches out of hard clay and could have probably loaded it again. I'm all for penetration but want big holes. The Hornady xtps done great in a 357 magnum but no where near a 200-240 grain bullet out of a carbine. I've got some lever evolution to zero in with which may do good or not. I only trim with a Lee trim pilot but guess I could file the pilot down the few thousands if it was to work good. Any ideas from the Henry experts.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 44 magnum bullets in my big boy steel

Post by JEBar » Fri May 04, 2018 7:14 pm

over the years deer, boar, and bear we have taken with Nosler 44 Caliber 240 Grain JHP Bullets have proven to us that they perform as advertised .... they hit and they hit hard, they mushroom as they penetrate and they leave one heck of an exit hole .... all of this has been with rounds fired from 2 different Ruger revolvers .... I haven't hunted with our Henry but based on past experience as well as seeing results on various types of targets, I have no doubt they the Noslers will excel
0 x

2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 2guns » Fri May 04, 2018 9:23 pm

I used some Nosler sporting bullets in a 357 magnum Vaquero I had. Never hunted with them but they were very accurate.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 pm

here is a link to where we buy ours ===> http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-p ... 100ct.html .... they handle Nosler's Blems and are out of stock right now .... the Blems have minor cosmetic issues that no way influence their performance .... I haven't seen a big game animal that knew they'd been taken by one of them instead of one with a perfect finish .. ;) .. occasionally when they gen a big bunch in, they have sales .... that's when I stock up, we have a couple of thousand on hand right now
0 x

2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 2guns » Fri May 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Couldn't find the Noslers but picked up a 100 xtp and a 100 Sierra sp. loaded and ready to try out tomorrow. Also got some 255 lead with gas checks to give a try. Hope they do good with the H110. Hard to double charge a case with 23.5 grains. One more dump would have come out of the case. I weighed these individually to try for best accuracy. Starline brass. I wanted to load them all but thought I'd check accuracy first.
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm

xtp and Sierra produce good bullets .... they should perform well for you
0 x

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pitchman1968 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Hey 2 Guns, I hope you have as much fun with your .44 Mag BB as I have had with mine. I bought it 4 years ago and have fired circa 1,200 rounds through it, with all but 50 of them being my reloads. At first, I was shooting 12", 3 shot groups at 50 yards. I have used many powders and bullets and the rifle's performance has slowly improved to the point where I am now shooting 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards. I am still using the Marble factory sights with 75 year-old eyes.The load that is giving me that performance is as follows:

Bullet - Beartooth .44 Caliber WFN GC

Bullet weight - 250 Grns.

Bullet diameter - .432" This is .001" wider than your rifle's barrel diameter.

Bullet BN - 22 (a little more brittle than what you have described your looking for).

Powder - Accurate #9

Powder weight - 18 grns.

Muzzle Velocity - 1,460 FPS.

I will not tinker with any new loads, as I believe the current results are the best I can expect from the rifle and me.
1 x