Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dillon reloader

All things reloading here
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Dillon reloader

Post by BigAl52 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 pm

If we put a mane and a tail on one of those reloaders for you would that help with the interest?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Can't hurt.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri May 04, 2018 12:27 am

I believe a lot has to do with ones 'lifestyle' to see if reloading will fit. It takes a certain amount of dedication and consistency to be practical and safe. Its not something you dust off the equipment once or twice a year and accomplish. My experience and observation is most of the DEDICATED reloaders have been doing it for a very long time - many of us are 40 + year reloaders and it is a part of our lifestyle and something we have always made time for. The last few years have shown me many have invested money into reloading equipment only because of a perceived shortage of ammo - and then the 'tide turned' and ammo became available again and the reloading equipment went up for sale (and a lot of it unused)
A lot of us long term reloaders have simply 'weathered' the storms and continued to load and shoot even during the times of shortages. I know people who, during some of the shortages, had to curtail their shooting due to unavailability of ammo and I was able to not only keep shooting but supply some who were short.
Reloading needs to be an 'amalgamated' part of ones interest in shooting to be practical and appreciated. If not it will be nothing more than a dreaded chore. Proceed carefully and wisely.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 am

historically, on rainy days, snowy days, brutally hot days or other times when I simply have no interest in being outside, I load a bunch (literally hundreds) .... once well stocked, I may not reload any more for days, weeks, months, or however long it takes me to get down to where I need more
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 am

JEBar wrote:historically, on rainy days, snowy days, brutally hot days or other times when I simply have no interest in being outside, I load a bunch (literally hundreds) .... once well stocked, I may not reload any more for days, weeks, months, or however long it takes me to get down to where I need more
Same here. When work is slow and weather isn't cooperating I'll spend the whole day reloading. Sometimes I'll load close to 1K rounds of various calibers.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 pm

RR all kidding aside its something you need to make a choice to do. It is alot easier if you have someone close buy who is reloading and you can watch what they are doing and learn from them I will be the first to admit that. That is how I learned some 40 plus years ago. Everyone who reloads develops there own techniques and habits. Some people do it one way some do it another. As long as you abide by certain safe rules which way its done is each reloaders choice. I know I have certain habits that I do with my Dillons other people might wonder why I do it that way. But in 40 plus years I have not ever had an issue. I know one day because of age I will need to give it up.
4 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat May 05, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm not ruling it out. It is still a possibility. Where I live I don't know anybody who reloads, but maybe I'll ask at the range, that is if I ever see anybody else there....
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:08 am

A couple of thoughts about your thread and reloading, RanchRoper. I've read any number of threads about reloading since joining the HRF. This one is "alive" almost a week now, and we're flowing through the fifth page. Good interest, and helpful comments.

What has kept my interest is that I've "been there -- done that," and have grappled with whether or not to move forward with reloading. One of your comments, blended with your humor, really did catch my attention. I highlighted that in your quote.
RanchRoper wrote:I'm not ruling it out. It is still a possibility.....
RanchRoper wrote:I am the least mechanical guy on the forum likely. If it doesn't have a mane and tail I lose interest. So SIMPLE is best for me. :)
I think your approach of looking at a variety of factors to reloading has been good. Nothing better than "heads up" going into a new "adventure!" ;)

But I think about the most succinct "warning" to a wannabe reloader is very well-stated in Mistered's comments. I'm copying his entire comment because I think it is worth re-reading. His last paragraph is especially important to consider.....I would. When I read it the first time, I thought that I definitely would not want to add a "dreaded chore" to daily life. I highlighted that portion (thanks, Mistered!).

It will be most interesting to see what you finally decide, RR....
Mistered wrote:I believe a lot has to do with ones 'lifestyle' to see if reloading will fit. It takes a certain amount of dedication and consistency to be practical and safe. Its not something you dust off the equipment once or twice a year and accomplish. My experience and observation is most of the DEDICATED reloaders have been doing it for a very long time - many of us are 40 + year reloaders and it is a part of our lifestyle and something we have always made time for. The last few years have shown me many have invested money into reloading equipment only because of a perceived shortage of ammo - and then the 'tide turned' and ammo became available again and the reloading equipment went up for sale (and a lot of it unused)
A lot of us long term reloaders have simply 'weathered' the storms and continued to load and shoot even during the times of shortages. I know people who, during some of the shortages, had to curtail their shooting due to unavailability of ammo and I was able to not only keep shooting but supply some who were short.
Reloading needs to be an 'amalgamated' part of ones interest in shooting to be practical and appreciated. If not it will be nothing more than a dreaded chore. Proceed carefully and wisely.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 am

I am the least mechanical guy on the forum likely
There is a certain 'mechanical' aspect to reloading but that does not mean one has to be highly mechanically 'inclined' to learn to reload. I taught myself initially by following the Speer reloading manual included with my first 'real' reloading kit (the Rock Chucker combo) after moving up from Lee Loaders. Like everything now a days there is a U- tube video for it (including reloading) and while I have only watched a few those I did were NOT really conducive to actually teaching a beginner. Some were better than others but most were nothing more than the person showing how he (or she in one particular video) reloads based on their own developed system as opposed to a basic 'starting point' process as shown in the manuals. So if you do decide to start reloading AND are going to watch vids on it take them with a 'grain of salt' And proceed carefully!
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun May 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks for all the info folks.
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C