Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Missouri 240 RNFP patterns.

All things reloading here
Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Missouri 240 RNFP patterns.

Post by Schneeky » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 am

Hey guys. Just got back here and saw the responses. Currently recovering from knee surgery but we're gettin closer to that time again.
I was reflecting on my past hunting seasons and how much I shoot overall. I ain't a high volume shooter. So mebbe I'll just use the jacketed. I want something with some extra ooomph to penetrate those tough boar plates without coming apart into little pieces. Can't always wait for a quartering away shot.
Anyways, what size OD XTP's (or whatever)are y'all using in your Henry rifles? I'll use the lead in the revolvers. d:^)
0 x
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig? d;^)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 am

since you started this thread I've come full circle on my bullets of choice .... I no longer use lead bullets .... with literally thousands on hand that wasn't an easy decision to make .... when it comes to 44's, we've gone back to our roots and in both our rifle and revolver only use Nosler 240 gr JHP's pushed by 23.8 gr of W296 or H110 .... we have taken black bear, boar, and whitetail deer with them .... we have used this load since the mid '60's and in all respects, their performance has consistently proven to be exceptional
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:08 am

I'm using Accurate #9 and .225 gr FXT. Most accurate combo for my Marlin .44 mag by far.
Jake
0 x

Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Schneeky » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Are you guys noticing any difference in accuracy/performance with the various diameter jacketed bullets?
I'm finding .429, .430 & .431 diameter bullets. Thanks.. d:^)
0 x

Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Schneeky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:22 pm

DAVIDF wrote:They come sized at .430 if you don't ask for a different sizing. What are yours sized at? The Henry's in .44 have a groove diameter spec'd at .431 which is SAAMI specs. So, a .432 cast bullet will work best. I would expect mediocre to poor accuracy if they are sized at .430, but sometimes that is not always the case.
.430. And the Valiants I have are all .429. Hehehe.
Walp, I reckon the 'Smith'll have plenty ta eat for a while. d;^)

Talked to Henry CS and they said the groove diameter is SAAMI .431, IIRC. d:^)
0 x