Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry tomorrow and casting

All things reloading here
2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

New Henry tomorrow and casting

Post by 2guns » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 pm

I just got my 45 big boy about a month ago and I am leaning towards a 30-30 in one tomorrow. I'd thought I'd like the 357 but more range with the 30-30. I am wanting to cast my own bullets for both. I really like the 260 grain bullet in the 45 and want the cast 170 grain in the 30-30. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on concerning casting. Wheel weights are out of question here as all the tire stores have other arrangements. I was going to melt and ladle into a mold but it seems slow so the Lee 4-20 bottom pour is reasonable price. After checking pre cast bullets from several manufacturers it appears that the only drawback is lead. At least the #2 Lyman I can get from Midway. I have everything in my cart there and with 5 lbs of lead my initial cost with pot, mold,lube, mold and resizing die is around $200.00. If I buy the 30-30 tomorrow that's just another mold which isn't super expensive but have o buy handles for the six cavity which seems stupid but I don't know half of what I probably need. Is it worth it to cast with lead prices this high??? I bought my last 4-500 45 bullets for around $50.00 shipped.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Henry tomorrow and casting

Post by Mistered » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Is it worth it to cast with lead prices this high??? I bought my last 4-500 45 bullets for around $50.00 shipped.
All things considered (especially time) casting bullets can be the Achilles Heel of reloading. With the availability of quality, hard cast bullets really at a premium right now it really doesn't make sense to cast unless YOU really want to as a hobby. I can get 165 grain .30 cal bullets locally for $45 for 500 and that is a lot of shooting and if you pencil the costs, time and hassle of casting this many, well you decide.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:52 am

I agree that at this time it is probably not worth the hassle of casting your own, unless you have time on your hands, access to free/nearly free lead, or just enjoy casting. I started casting a few years ago when commercial bullets were on a 6 month waiting list. I did not enjoy the process. You might enjoy it, or not. No way to know unless you try it.

I will offer just a couple things. First, are you ordering sizing dies, or perhaps a lubing/sizing machine? You will probably need to size your bullets after casting them. Some molds will cast bullets that are the size you need right from the mold. My experience was that I needed to size them down a couple thousandths. Second, how do you plan to lube them? You can lube/size in a dedicated machine, you can pan lube them, or tumble lube. The easiest is the machine, but they aren't cheap. The third issue is that 5 lbs of lead won't go very far. At 7000 grains per lb, and 260 grain bullets, you will only get about 130 bullets out of 5 lbs.

I'm not trying to talk you out of trying casting, just pointing out a couple things to consider. Good luck.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 am

I would not buy lead from Midway! Some of the commercial casters actually sell lead ingots also. Missouri bullet and Acme come to mind. Also check out Rotometals and Zipmetals.
Maybe you can find a source for lead local on eBay or a gun club that offers group buys.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:17 am

as one who has read about bullet casting but has absolutely no hands-on experience doing so, I'm really looking forward to following your efforts .... there are many things I could do in a cheaper manner but I do them the way I do because I enjoy it .... please check in often as you go along with comments and pictures
0 x

2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 2guns » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 am

After reading a bunch and watching I m thinking every you tube video of casting it looks like something I would enjoy in free time. If I could find cheap lead I would be inclined to buy the equipment and start. I've only searched major stores. Midway, Brownells, Natchez. Ect. Never thought of trying eBay. After spending over an hour trying to get my ejector back in after taking bolt out to clean I'm thinking I can do anything now. Lol. After mashing rear down from the back, bolt slid in without dragging ejector out. Marlins may come apart and go back together a little easier. Thanks for those sites. I will check them out for lead. I was going to use a Lee .452 resizing die and tumble lube with Alox. If wrong equipment please advise.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 am

I've used wheel weights since 1970 with great success , if you don't drive them too fast around 1000 fps . . My serous target shooting I mix 20 or 25 to 1 and pure lead for black power . You can go to a tire shop and get 5 gal bucket for around $10
Attachments
Picture730.jpg
Picture730.jpg (111.5 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
target32-40.jpg
target32-40.jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am

access to free/nearly free lead,
Availability of lead is Probably the most important aspect of casting. You can really waste a lot of time and expense chasing around looking for lead. I don't have the time or patience for it anymore.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 am

I would Telephone the tire store and scrap yard to find lead save a lot of driving . Most tire store will save the wheel weights for you if you ask .
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 pm

The days of getting wheel weights is rapidly passing. All the new wheel weights are lead free. The random wheel weights I managed to pick up about 4 or 5 years ago were about 1/3 to 1/2 lead free. Most shops I talked to had other arrangements for disposing of weights. Perhaps small town situations are different, but I suspect that the mix of lead to lead free is ever increasing in the wrong direction for casters.

As to the plan to use the Lee sizer and Alox, I have used both and they work. I prefer pan lubing to Alox as the Alox stays a bit tacky and built up in my dies. The pan lube builds up too, but not as fast and is easier to clean IME. Lots of folks prefer the Alox as it is easier to do. If you want to dip your toes in the water of casting, you don't need to invest in a lead pot. You can easily make do with an outdoor burner, if you have one, and an old pot with a cheap ladle. Even a single burner hot plate, or camp stove will do the job. The ladles actually work quite well, and you don't have problems with blocked valves on a pouring valve style melter. If you find that you don't care for casting, you won't have much invested. If you do find you like it, you can add what you want after knowing better which aspects of your equipment slow you down or annoy.

I have several of the 2 cavity Lee molds. They require a little attention, but are inexpensive and work quite well. Just be sure to lube the sprue plate and either smoke the mold, or use mold release. The newer style alignment pins are a definite improvement over the old style. Plan on throwing quite a few bullets back into the pot until the mold heats up, and keep lube out of the mold itself. A little wax or lube on the surface of the mold is a guaranteed to result in an incomplete fill of the mold.

I quickly paid for money invested in a small lead pot, a couple molds and sizing dies and a ladle. Still, at the cost of cast these days, I would rather spend a few extra bucks and buy them. It is good to have the system in the wings in case things go pear shaped in the supply of factory bullets. I have considered buying a .452 mold and sizer for my 1911 just in case.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya