Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry tomorrow and casting

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Henry tomorrow and casting

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 am

I've watched a few videos of guys melting range scrap and casting. Seems like a fun way to spend the afternoon.
Oh its a fun hobby - and directly related with one's reloading however in the big 'scheme' of things it was an easy hobby/task to drop as more and more commercially cast bullets became available and when you consider time and cost - casting doesn't really 'pencil' anymore. Availability of lead (or lack of) is really a stumbling block also.
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I also following this thread, Im getting into casting aswell of pure interest and to be able to make stuff yourself is my kind of thing. I have started to collect things I need for casting and getting into casting this summer for the first time. I will be casting for my 44magnum and my 44 cap&ball Original Remington 1858. There is alot of fun into learning this, all variations of bullets, luberecipes and alloys and trying out what works best for myself.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:39 pm

ruhler wrote: I will be casting for my 44magnum and my 44 cap&ball Original Remington 1858. .
You know to use PURE lead in all black powder guns only . no alloys allowed in them ...
Attachments
Picture1135-1.jpg
Picture1135-1.jpg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
2 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:49 pm

tx gunrunner wrote:
ruhler wrote: I will be casting for my 44magnum and my 44 cap&ball Original Remington 1858. .
You know to use PURE lead in all black powder guns only . no alloys allowed in them ...
Yes i do but good that you mention it in case someone didnt know about it.
0 x

2guns
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 2guns » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 pm

I love old cap and ball revolvers and single shots. Time to get the blackpowder out.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:14 pm

2guns wrote:I love old cap and ball revolvers and single shots. Time to get the blackpowder out.
Here is my single shot I designed and built .
Attachments
1f2566ed-9440-413b-9562-676382bf7c45.jpg
1f2566ed-9440-413b-9562-676382bf7c45.jpg (250.91 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
2 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 am

Mistered wrote: Oh its a fun hobby - and directly related with one's reloading however in the big 'scheme' of things it was an easy hobby/task to drop as more and more commercially cast bullets became available and when you consider time and cost - casting doesn't really 'pencil' anymore. Availability of lead (or lack of) is really a stumbling block also.
There are more bullet casters now than there have ever been. Just take a look on youtube and Facebook groups. Bullet casting will pay for itself faster than reloading will. Powder coating open's up a whole new world for bullet casters. Availability of lead.... bullet trap's can be a good source. Me and one of my local ranges did some horse trading. I repaired the road to the range using my tractor and grader. In return, they let me dig into the bullet traps and mine the lead out of it. My last four trip's to the local range...yielded me have a little over 5000 lbs of lead bullets. All it cost me was $250 for diesel fuel cause I used my tractor to mine the lead from the bullet trap's. I took all that lead home on my trailer and processed it and sold it using the internet (Facebook groups). All of that lead....paid for all my casting equipment, some of reloading equipment and all of my components (powder, primers etc).

Some recycling centers will sell lead. My local recycling center sells lead for 65 cents a pound. I work with a guy that collects aluminum cans and trades it at our local recycling center for lead. He's a bullet caster as well. My last trip to my local recycling center, I sold 678 lbs of raw and dirty copper jackets for cash. They gave me $1.23 a pound, I came home with $833.94. Not bad for a few hours of work.

Certified lead can be bought from a few bullet casting companies or from Rotometals.

Rotometals
http://www.rotometals.com/bullet-casting-alloys/

Acme Bullet Company ($2.10 a pound)
http://www.acmebullet.com/Acme-Bullet-A ... let%20lead
Sold in 16.5 pound packages ($2.10 a pound). This USA foundry certified bullet alloy has a brinell hardness (BHN) of 16 and is comprised of 92 % lead, 6% antimony and 2% tin. Price: $34.65

Missouri Bullet Company
http://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=12
Magic Alloy
6Sb2Sn92Pb Antimonial Lead
Modern equivalent of Lyman #2 Casting Alloy
Commonly also known as Hardball or Magnum alloy
Foundry Bullet Alloy with Certified Analysis 66 lbs. @$2.18/lb.
Price: $143.88

Magic Alloy - 2 Ingots
6Sb2Sn92Pb Antimonial Lead
Modern equivalent of Lyman #2 Casting Alloy
Commonly also known as Hardball or Magnum alloy
Foundry Bullet Alloy with Certified Analysis 16 lbs. @$2.25/lb.
Price: $36.00
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 am

Most of my shooting in the last 50 yrs was all target shooting . Casting cut my cost super low plus I need perfect bullets to win a match . Most bullet casters don't make perfect bullets . :roll:
0 x