Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magnetospeed Chronograph

All things reloading here
Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Magnetospeed Chronograph

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Anybody have/use a Magnetospeed Chronograph?
Any issues using one on a lever gun.
Any difference in use between a Henry octagon barreled rifle and a tapered octagon?
Think it's time I get a chronograph and the Magnetospeed looks pretty handy.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Magnetospeed Chronograph

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 pm

interesting chrony .... I'd never heard of it before your post .... if you get one, I'm really looking forward to your evaluation
0 x

Mgr2
Wrangler
Norway

Post by Mgr2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:11 am

The Magnetospeed is quite common here in Norway, and it seems shooters have good experience with it. The only issue I am aware of is that the weight on the end of the barrel could shift the point of impact.

You might also consider Labradar:
http://www.mylabradar.com/

Or SuperChrono:
http://www.steinertsensingsystems.com/p ... ronograph/
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Ridgerunner665
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ridgerunner665 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:15 pm

I like mine...its just the Sporter model.

Works on wheel guns and lever guns just fine as long as the barrel is at least 6.5 inches.
1 x
Henry Big Boy steel carbine 41 Magnum

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:45 pm

I did get one and it works very well with different types of barrels.
I just shoot for speed and don't try to worry about poi.
There is enough to think about with the ""bayonet" at the end, setting, recording.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:50 pm

I picked up a Magnetospeed Sport, the budget version, several years ago. I have used it couple of times and believe it is a good tool. The LabRadar is the best, but its a little pricey for my budget. The set up is easy and the readout is excellent. I have a couple of screen based chrony's and they work very well too. Their set up is a little more time consuming and of course you have to shoot thru the screens. With LR & MS you just shoot the target. Ballistics wise the Lab Radar is the most accurate, followed by the MS. I used the chrony to help develop loads and to plot range performance based on weight and speed. I don't use it much anymore but its still a nice tool to have in the box. And it doesn't take up much too much room on the shelf. I recommend it since the MS is a big improvement over the screen based chronys.
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:44 am

I shoot two Big Boys, 45 Colt and 357. :D

I have the Magnetospeed V3, a little more money than the Sporter but worth the extra money (sturdier build).
For the price and what I use it for (checking my various hand loads) I could not be happier. If you are a competitive long rifle shooter, you would want to invest in a labradar.

As to the extra weight on the front end effecting accuracy, when I shoot I use a rest to check my chrono.
One suggestion for the Henry rifles, mount the Magnetospeed upside down. If you mount it under the barrel as you normally would, the tube magazine lowers the chrono too far below the muzzle. (yes, distance between the muzzle and chorno are important). By mounting it upside down it places the chrono at the correct spacing. I have had no problems with the octagon barrel.

And yes, if you mount it on the top of the barrel, sight picture is a problem, however,as I said, I use this to chrono my hand loads only, so I am not concerned with target accuracy while it is attached.

Very useful tool for the hand loaders to check powder types and bullet types for the best performance.
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us, and thanks for your helpful advice about using the Magnetospeed chrono.

I look forward to reading more about your time at the range and in the field, and when you have an opportunity, please consider adding your two Henrys to the members' running total of Henrys owned:
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 96#p112596

runnin n gunnin wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:44 am

I have the Magnetospeed V3, a little more money than the Sporter but worth the extra money (sturdier build).
For the price and what I use it for (checking my various hand loads) I could not be happier. If you are a competitive long rifle shooter, you would want to invest in a labradar.

As to the extra weight on the front end effecting accuracy, when I shoot I use a rest to check my chrono.
One suggestion for the Henry rifles, mount the Magnetospeed upside down. If you mount it under the barrel as you normally would, the tube magazine lowers the chrono too far below the muzzle. (yes, distance between the muzzle and chorno are important). By mounting it upside down it places the chrono at the correct spacing. I have had no problems with the octagon barrel.

And yes, if you mount it on the top of the barrel, sight picture is a problem, however,as I said, I use this to chrono my hand loads only, so I am not concerned with target accuracy while it is attached.

Very useful tool for the hand loaders to check powder types and bullet types for the best performance.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Welcome from the TV, Oregon!
runnin n gunnin wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:44 am
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234