Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just getting started...

All things reloading here
JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Just getting started...

Post by JCN » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm

I now have an extra garage bay to set up a reloading station. Not quite sure where to start out. Any quick tips for a newbie?

Thinking about reloading 357 and/or my next Henry in 45-70.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Just getting started...

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 pm

I started with the breach lock challenger kit from Lee and a three die set in .357 mag.also Lee.
I did get a digital scale to start as the beam scale has a little learning curve at least for me anyway.
May want to look over this forum http://www.lee-loader.com/
Not a lot of members but they really know their stuff.
Good luck.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 am

You might want to START with a good manual. Unless you know someone who is already set up and reloading regularly you can learn from I cannot stress this enough. Questions on a forum about certain problems or techniques are great once you are up and running but until you are there you need to crack a book. The Speer manuals used to be a go to manual for new reloaders and 'The ABCs of reloading' is a classic standard. One standard word of advice - never ask on a forum ' Does anybody have a load recommendation for caliber X with a X grain bullet' as this will get nearly all reloaders who see responding with 'read your manual' or check the powder mfgs. Website. Waiting on a report of what manual you decide on!
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:12 am

I started a few years ago with the affordable Lee Breach Lock Challenger kit and their four die set for .357, which also does .38. I have several books now, but started with the Hornady 9th edition handbook, which I highly recommend. Mistered gave good advice when he advised, "NEVER ask on a forum for a recipe." Use published data and you'll be happy.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks guys. I bought the Lees manual about a year ago so I have that as a reference.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 pm

One recommendation I will make is bypass the roll crimp step with most seating dies and get a collet style 'factory crimp' die. While it adds an extra step it saves time by not having to adjust the seating due for a proper roll crimp and the frustration of all your rounds not getting crimped the same due to slight differences in case length. The collet die eliminates this problem. Note - this is only for those calibers that require crimping - such as most straight wall pistol and rifle rounds.
2 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am

I too started or kinda restarted hand loading a couple of years back. I purchased an RCBS rock crusher kit and an RCBS vibratory tumbler. My dies are also RCBS. The single stage Rock Crusher kit if very complete for the most part. Nice unit with a good beam scale.

I found a couple of add ons that make a huge difference.

A powder trickler and base. I set up alongside the scale. Many powders don't throw as precise as you might like. Especially when you are starting out. So I set mine a tad light and trickle over the scale pan to get precise measurements. I weigh each charge. Good practice when starting out.

The RCBS powder measure comes with a bracket for the press. I bought a separate stand and prefer that. It also comes set up with the large drum for rifle powder measuring. You will need to change that to the small drum for pistol cartridges and most of what you'll load for a Henry including 45/70.

When ordering dies get carbide when possible. It's worth the extra money to not have to bother with lubing cases. RCBS 45/70 doesn't come in carbide. Most pistol cartridges do.

Along with die sets you will need the shell holders for the press. Get 2 of each. One for the press and one for the priming tool. The kit comes with a hand primer which I really like.

I also bought Lee hand held case trimmers and the wooden ball handle for each caliber. Just like the single stage press. It's simple, slow, easy, and gives the beginner a good feel for the process.

For the tumbler I bought walnut shell lizard bedding from the pet store for media. cheap. It works well. Especially if I add a capfull or 2 of Nu-finish car polish and a cap of mineral spirits. Cut up a dryer sheet and add the pieces to each batch tumbled. This helps keep the media clean.

Several people told me to just go to a top end progressive press like a Dillon. I'm glad I didn't. I don't load high volumes of 9mm or 45 acp. And I think the single stage press goes a long way to learning the process one step at a time. Better safe than sorry. Take your time and go slow. Be deliberate and don't allow distractions when loading. Only have one powder out at any given time. Do one step till you are done then move on to the next step. Safety is the #1 thing to keep in mind through out the process. Double check everything you do then check it again. Especially powder measuring!

Shooting your own good handloads is very satisfying. But it's a patient persons game.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Several people told me to just go to a top end progressive press like a Dillon. I'm glad I didn't. I don't load high volumes of 9mm or 45 acp. And I think the single stage press goes a long way to learning the process one step at a time
This is better than a tip - it’s great advice - reality being what it is very few shooters really need the capacity of a progressive.
Unfortunately there are a few new reloaders who think they do (or take the advice they do) and get in over their heads and loose interest quickly. Some will load a large amount of one load and not shoot it up for a while or realize it is too involved to create small batches of a load which is considerably easier on single stage. I have bee loading for nearly 40 years and have never needed the capacity of a progressive. Developing a good system of prepping cases in batches goes a long way to being able to turn out fairly large amounts of ammo (or at least as much as an ‘average’ shooter will use on a single stage. Once set up, with prepped cases, I can knock out a couple hundred rounds in a very short amount of time. The only change I have made over the years is adding a Forster CO-AX as my now primary press over my Rockchucker and while faster is still a single stage. Also You tend to see a lot more used progressives up for sale than anything else.
2 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:23 pm

I have 2 Lee single stage presses now, and I'm thinking of adding another one. I've also added a universal decapping die and a universal neck expanding die. These additions have really sped up my loading process. Watch ebay and you can find great deals on like new equipment.
Last edited by GaHenryFan on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

A 2nd press is a great addition - but not essential and certainly not for a beginner. Take the time to develop a system to determine if you actually need a 2nd press. And adding a 2nd press is not necessarily meant to speed up your reloading but as convienince to perform certain tasks while freeing up the other for possibly your primary reloading. You are NOT equating ‘progressive’ reloading with two presses and a progressive press is not a replacement for two single stage presses.
0 x