Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just getting started...

All things reloading here
GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Just getting started...

Post by GaHenryFan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Mistered wrote:You are NOT equating ‘progressive’ reloading with two presses and a progressive press is not a replacement for two single stage presses.
I didn't say I was trying to equal the speed or complexity of a progressive press. Having 2 single stage presses is VERY convenient, and not difficult to master at all.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm

I didn't say I was trying to equal the speed or complexity of a progressive press.
And I didn’t say you were trying to either. If you read my post properly I too was supporting the convienince of having two AND in my final sentence simply trying to ensure a distinction was made that two presses are NOT intended to EQUATE a progressive and vice versa. YOU was a metaphor for any new reloader - not you, GaHenryFan.
1 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Then I owe you an apology. I started out with one press against the advice of a friend with years of reloading experience. When I finally decided to purchase a second one, I immediately understood why he wanted me to have 2 in the beginning.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 pm

No apology necessary. I still would not advise a new reloader to start with two until he/she got the basics down but I will admit I wish I would have got a 2nd one much sooner than I did.
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Reloading is therapeutic to me. I enjoy the process and the precision of the final product. Even if I needed the capacity of a progressive press, I think it would steal some of joy away. :)
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm

I have known far too many people who ‘drank the Kool aid’ and got into a progressive without really realizing what they were doing, much less understanding the idea of a progressive is to load large quantities of ammo for say, heavy competition with a SA rifle or pistol. The average, or even above average shooter (like me) is still far from needing progressive quantities of ammo. Besides like you reloading is a hobby for me and also therapeutic and I agree on loosing the joy of it!
2 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Awesome advice. I'll document my process getting set up in a different thread.

Going to start with buying a work bench for my garage!

Will start with 357 for my GP100 and Henry BBS.

Thank you all for the input.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Will start with 357 for my GP100 and Henry BBS.
Great 'first' caliber to start with - easy to load and lots of options - and MY favorite round!
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Agree on the 357. Straight wall cases are pretty straight forward to reload. Good way to get your feet wet.

It's nice to be able to just pop out 20 rounds or so and go to the range to test them. it can take a while to find just what you and your gun likes. If those 20 work out well then by all means make 50 or 100 next time!

To me working up pet loads is a big part of hand loading. Nice to save some ammo money. But that's not the primary for me.

Like others have said the precision work and the concentration factor are big pluses as well. Before I retired I worked a multi tasking high stress job for a few years. It took it's toll on my focus. I find handloading has done a lot to get it back. Satisfaction in a job well done is kinda nice too.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.