Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Help with resizing 30-30

All things reloading here
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Help with resizing 30-30

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:Thicker cases can mean higher pressures from less case capacity.
The persnickity will measure and sort . And there is some info on the capacity of different brands on the Web.
I'm not a sorter. I tried keeping tabs on how many times cases had been shot but failed at that fairly quickly.
I was given 50 or so Nickle cases and I keep those separate, never used them, someone told me that's what take hunting because of some intrinsic quality of nickel cases. Can't remember what it was.
Unless someone else here actually knows what they’re talking about (in which case, they should feel free to correct me), I’m not at all sure what the value is in making rifle ammo with nickel cases. My understanding of the main reason it’s used for defensive handgun ammo is that it doesn’t oxidize like brass does. It stays nice and smooth and shiny when carried around in a holster.

I have a sneaking suspicion that with high end hunting ammo, they use nickel plated brass because it looks cool.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:26 pm

My understanding of the main reason it’s used for defensive handgun ammo is that it doesn’t oxidize like brass does. It stays nice and smooth and shiny when carried around in a holster.
This seems to be the only real reason. Personally I hate the stuff and do not like the way it 'feels' going through the sizing die but I have a lot of nickle .38 & .357 cases so I'll have to use them - until they crack like all nickle cases do prematurely.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Twotone,
So I re-read your Original Post.
Using your headspace comparator you measure a fully resized case and a fired case. That will give you some idea of how much resizing the cases are going through. From there you'll have to decide how much to to move your die.
Starting with a full resize setup, the holder touching the die, turn the die a quarter turn (counter clockwise) UP. Size a case, measure, repeat until correct.
I'm sure there is someone that can tell you that one turn of the die is equal so many thousandths.
When I started I just neck sized cases and after a certain amount of reloads the cases would stick. Then I started bumping the shoulder and have not had that problem again.
4198 powder is a good powder for cast lead bullets.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

Post by Twotone » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Thank you for the wealth of information everybody. Happy christmas to you all and a joyful new year!
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:41 pm

As it happens I've reset my 30-30 die back to a full resize.
I added another 30-30 (stray cats and rifles). With three I feel I'll be more efficient full resizing for all of them, at least until I see if there much difference in their head-spacing.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Mistered wrote:
My understanding of the main reason it’s used for defensive handgun ammo is that it doesn’t oxidize like brass does. It stays nice and smooth and shiny when carried around in a holster.
This seems to be the only real reason. Personally I hate the stuff and do not like the way it 'feels' going through the sizing die but I have a lot of nickle .38 & .357 cases so I'll have to use them - until they crack like all nickle cases do prematurely.

I use nickel plated cases in my Sako 222 Remington for identification purpose. I have four 223 Remington rifles in my safe and the one 222 that I will never part with and those two rounds can be mistaken for one another on a quick glance. I had a 222 round get mixed in my 223 ammo one summer in Montana shooting prairie dogs when one of the guys upset the ammo in the back of the pickup. The result from that was particles of brass in my face when the 222 ruptured in the 223 over size chamber. From then on it is nickel plated brass for the 222 for that reason. I don't feel there is a "need" for the nickel cases but for my case it is a little insurance that may not happen again. I have 12 new boxes of the much sought after Federal 222 Match cases and it is also nickel plated. The couple hundred I am using now are Remington. I have no problems cracking cases but the 222 is well known for exceptional brass longevity with dies adjusted to control head space to a minimum and lubing the necks well when sizing.
1 x

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Nickel cases don’t tarnish leather on my single shot.
Attachments
3BBCFEE8-6C1E-4445-907F-EB730AD5DB3C.jpeg
3BBCFEE8-6C1E-4445-907F-EB730AD5DB3C.jpeg (157.58 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 pm

I pretty much do what JEBar does. When they need trimming, trim. Are you limited to what powders you can get there?
BTW, Seems like I know that Resonater in your avatar. On any guitar forums? I hang around "Squier Talk" a bit. On the Telecaster threads.

Dang! Didn't realize this thread was a year old. Sheesh!
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm glad this thread re-surfaced, as I'm just jumping into reloading and 30-30 will be my first rifle reload (will get my sea legs with 357 Mag first). While I have picked up a hundred or so "once fired" brass online (that looks very clean, BTW), what I intend to start with is my own once-fired brass that has been shot in my H009CCH. I'll have both brass and nickel-plated (which came from Winchester Silvertip) from my own stash.

Anyway, based on my research, my plan is to size this "once fired by only me" brass primarily at the shoulder, since, as i understand it, it's been expanded to fit my chamber exactly. To do so, I've picked up a Whidden Gunworks shoulder bump gauge, which is what I'll use to set the shoulder length (probably -.002") in the resizing die. Once I dial that in, I'll check case length and trim if necessary. Also have a Wilson go/no-go gauge.

Does this sound like a logical plan for "captive brass," or am I missing something? Seems pretty simple and straightforward, and pretty low tech, but I didn't make it up on my own (I don't think).
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:47 pm

I'd suggest you load a few and see how well they perform .... I fully resize all cases but do know a few folks who don't .... so long as they work smoothly in your rifle, neck sizing might be worth considering
0 x