Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

44mag big boy allweather casting mould recommendations?

All things reloading here
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

44mag big boy allweather casting mould recommendations?

Post by ruhler » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am

Hi new here and was wondering what moulds and size you casters use for your henry 44mag big boy that cycles smoothly and shoot great at 100yards? Have bought a henry all weather 44mag and waiting for the paperwork to get done.

Asked Henry and got a mail from Henry saying that not to go above 260grain and use Flat Point, hollowpoint or roundnose bullets. And they recommended factoryloads ofc. So what mould should i use for hunting and ofc targetshooting like to keep it simple and use a bullet I can use for hunting aswell as targetshooting. I use Vithavouri N110 powder for magnumloads around 19-21grain and Vithavouri N340 for 44spl around 6-9grain depending on bullettype and weight.

Anyone tried these moulds and used with your henry BB at 100yards with accuracy and know they cycle smooth?
Lee 429-RF 200grain bullet? seems like it could cycle smooth but probably needs to beagle?
Lee TL430-240 SWC, probably suitable for targetshooting not for hunting
Lee C430-310 RF GC - big bullet according to henry not suitable for big boy, but many other says this is a good hunting bullet
RCBS 240-SIL GC 2cavity, bullet seems to have a good bulletshape for leveractions, probably more suitable for targetshooting?
NOE 432-265-RF GC, seems like a good hunting bullet and in specification recommendation from Henry?

Guess jacketed bullet is good with usual .430 and around .432 for castbullets is what to aim for, and it may be needed to beagle some mould if needed. Or any other suggestions, I was thinking about having a 200grain and a heavier around 240-265grain gascheck or perhaps even 310 even if Henry says its not recommended?

I also have some jacketed bullets like XTP HP 240, Fiocchi SJSP 240grain, Frontier 245grain CMJ (only sized to .429) but I really prefer cast bullets its something about making all yourself. I load for my 629 classic 5" and Ruger SBH 10,5 in 44mag already so got experience with the caliber in targetshooting and magnumcompetition. But its different in a revolver if it fits the cylinder it pretty much works :)
0 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: 44mag big boy allweather casting mould recommendations?

Post by Abnermal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:26 pm

RNFP bullets have worked well for me in lever action rifles. Maybe try some commercial cast bullets before sinking a lot of money into a bullet mould.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 am

Got a couple of hundred 280grain and 305grain ranchdog RNFP .432 cast bullets tumble lube version bullets with gaschecks from a caster to try out when my Henry arrives. If it works out im buying these moulds.

Also invested in a old used well functioning rcbs lubamatic with top punches and calibrationtool with .430, 431 and .432, and some red lube and some pure lead bars since I only have wheelweight bars and linotype bars. Stocking up things I need when they are offered at a reasonable price.
1 x

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am

I prefer RNFP in my lever rifles. Though I have yet to have feeding issues, even with SWC in a henry.

I like 240 gr in my .44. If I feel the need to go heavier, I switch to a bigger cartridge.

I would like to see a .444 in their lineup.
1 x

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Frontiersman wrote:I would like to see a .444 in their lineup.
I would very much like to see a .444 from Henry. The only one I can think that stills makes a .444 in a rifle is a CVA single shot.
0 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 am

Ordered some .44 Lee moulds 200gr RNFP, 240gr SWC GC, and 310gr RNFP GC on blackfriday sale if it doesnt work in the Henry Rifle im using them in my revolvers instead. Im also considering boiling my own bulletlube with beewaxs mix, but I will be ordering some carnuba red also.

Also found these useful links:
See the dimensions of Lee Molds bullets
http://leeprecision.net/support/index.p ... dimensions

Calculate if the bullet is going to be stable with the twistrate, bullet length, weight (in theory).
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Was suppose to order some XTP bullets aswell but it was totally sold out, but I got some gun cleaning patches.
0 x

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Which moulds worked best?
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:15 am

larry7293 wrote:Which moulds worked best?
Havent cast any yet, its snow up to the elbows and really cold outside. Snowing all the time, todays forecast around 8inches of snow. Not the best casting conditions :) I have to wait until summer before casting. However I tried some .430 and .431 SWC 240grain both magnum with gaschecks and special loads at 25meters it worked great, no leading, cycled great in the action.
2 x