Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Could be a keeper 45/70.

All things reloading here
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Could be a keeper 45/70.

Post by Squatch » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 pm

While some folks were here cutting trees today I set up my 45/70 dies. I had a set of 9 Starline line cases. I used one to make a dummy rd setting the seating depth and crimp. I then loaded 8 light 45/70 rounds. Used data from http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Missouri bullet company coated 300 gr #2 Buffalo, 10grs Unique, WLR primer. These are cowboy action level rds. Probably 1,000fps. They shoot nice and recoil like a moderate 44mag in my BB.

The rifle has the stock buckhorn sights which I don't care for. And the front sight is too short. With rear sight all the way down it still shoots 6" high . I tried to find it on paper at 50 yds today and missed one shot.

So I shot the target at 25 yds. All 7 shots on this target. One flyer which was me finding the target aiming for center. I had to aim at the bottom of the target for the group. It's a 2" group at 25 yds. 4 of the 6 were one ragged hole. Now if I can only do the same at 50+100 yds. :D

When I got home and cleaned the gun after 8 rds it was clean and free of fouling.

Next step is to load 20 or so and add the Skinner XA sight and Lyman globe front sight! And get it sighted in. :lol:
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Could be a keeper 45/70.

Post by Squatch » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:30 pm

I built 40 more of these today. And 20 more using the same load and a 405 gr bullet. That's the light load for that bullet on the data I'm using. Can't wait to try them out.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:36 pm

really looking forward to your report .... we've had to move our reloading equipment so we haven't been able to load any for our 45-70 ... thanks for the info
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Good shootin'. Are you getting a taller front sight?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:03 am

I'm replacing both. Globe front and a Skinner XA (extra aperture) rear peep. But it takes some rounds to find and set up on paper. I wanted to find a round that wouldn't turn my old shoulder into hamburger in the process before I installed them. No recoil pad on the brass 45/70! :lol: I have both sights in hand already. I'll do a write up when I install them.
2 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:24 am

You can always get a PAST pad that straps to your shoulder to spread out the recoil and or a slip on pad. If you are bench shooting some rather "warm" loads , grab an extra sandbag to put between the rifle and your shoulder. I don't see this as cheating because in the woods a hunting load might require only one shot.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Mama Squatch got me some padded shotgunners shirts for Christmas. That helps. For long range days I often just fold a terry towel and slip it inside my shirt.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Over the winter I had a bull hide stock cover made for my Big Boy. I had enough room inside to add 1/4" of closed cell foam. I've now shot it enough to know that I like it on the gun. Both looks and comfort. It really keeps the gun where you put it on your shoulder. The brass butt plates are slick and the gun can move. That's when it hurts! I talked to the maker and he will make me a custom for my 45/70 with room for 1/2' of foam or whatever I want. So I'll probably do that before it's over. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive. But in a couple of weeks I'm going on a trip to a national forest with my 4x4 club. It's a regular thing. They have a great range. We tend to do 4 days straight of several hours a day on the range on these trips. By the end of the week it adds up.
That's also one of the reasons I'm working on developing some mild to mid range loads for both rifles. The goals is good accuracy to 100yds. Mild to reasonable recoil. Same common powder for everything to keep costs down. So far I seem to be making progress.

I may eventually look into a recoil compensator inside the butt stock if I feel the need.
2 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu May 19, 2016 5:48 pm

So I finally got the Skinner rear and Lyman front sights installed on my 45/70b. More on that elsewhere. But it's still shooting high.

But I shot some more of these handloads and like them. Both 300 + 405 gr in front of 10 grs of Unique. Very mild recoil. I was shooting in a T shirt with no padding. No issue.

Since I was trying to sight in the rifle I was shooting at 25 yds. 300 gr at 25 yds including a slight elevation adjustment.

405 gr at 25 yds same deal.

Mixed at 50 yds including some elevation adjustments.

I like both these loads and intend to build some more. I'm going to change out the rear sight and try again tomorrow. I'll shoot the rest of these up then clean the rifle and check for leading. That should be 60 rounds through the rifle of these since cleaned.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu May 19, 2016 6:00 pm

It's good to hear from you, Squatch. You've been missed. Thanks for the report and for the pics. Sounds like you're still having too much fun! Looking forward to hearing more!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu May 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks. I've been busy and not on line much lately. I actually have a backlog of stuff to post here.

Forgot to add to the above. The 405's averaged around 930 fps over the Chrono. The 300's around 1035 fps.
1 x