Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 Magnum New Factory Cartridge Case Diagnostics

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: .357 Magnum New Factory Cartridge Case Diagnostics

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:01 pm

in first part of this link they discuss what looks to be a similar failure ===> http://www.stevespages.com/diagnosingproblems.html <=== with yours being factory loads, I find it hard to believe they would overcharge a round by that much .... have you considered emailing pictures of the failure to the bullet's manufacture ..?.. my hunch is, it would really get their attention
1 x

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:30 pm

The last case especially exhibits signs of high pressure. If you look at the far right photo of the primers you can see the bright mark on the case and cratered primer. Before contacting the company, I was looking for advice from the experienced reloaders here. I reloaded a few decades ago and never had a problem with any of my reloads; or did friends I reloaded for as they made one shot kills on antelope and elk.
The thing I don’t understand, as was mentioned previously, was that each case became progressively worse. This is the reason for not firing the remaining seven rounds after observing the third fired round. I fired different ammo after this without a problem.
I’m a little hesitant to jump to any conclusions until after hearing more opinions although it’s evident as you pointed out JEBar, related to high pressure. What I don’t know is whether or not Henry Rifles are sensitive to certain pressures vs other types of firearms. Do they have tighter chambers than other types or brands of rifles? When I sent in my new Henry that had the remaining portion of the separated S&B case in it that was shown in the first photo; HRA replaced the barrel. I honestly didn’t expect that. I thought they would just remove the stuck case, examine the chamber, and perform whatever work was necessary on the chamber. I wasn’t unhappy at all with their solution but would like to know if there are certain ammo restrictions. That’s where I believe the knowledge base on this forum comes into play. The combined experience of the members here should give me the answer and for that; many thanks.
0 x

CharlieW
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CharlieW » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:31 am

I had problems with an older box of the Sellier and Bellot 357 ammo -- several of the cases were split shooting through my rifle. It was definitely a bad batch of ammo, or a box that had not aged well.
1 x
Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Well no feedback from Grizzly on their cartridges; in fact, total silence. After thoroughly searching the internet I understand why. I’ve come to the conclusion that although this ammo is manufactured with all new components, there is a weak link in their brass, at least with this particular loading.
0 x