Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Automatic Powder Measure

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Automatic Powder Measure

Post by JEBar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 pm

I've been using the same RCBS® Uniflow Powder Measure ===> http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=9 <=== since the mid '60's .... it sure doesn't look new (that could be because it isn't :? ) but it still works .... I've only recently become aware that in the last 50 +/- years they have come up with automatic powder measurers .... I've never used one or seen one in person .... I have watched several YouTube videos about them and I do admit they look interesting .... I'm curious about two of them .... the RCBS® ChargeMaster Combo ===> http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=0 <=== and the Lyman® Generation 6 Compact Digital Powder System ===> http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=4 <=== observations from anyone who has used one of these automatic powder measurers would be appreciated
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Automatic Powder Measure

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Jim
I cant speak for the Lyman I have a Lyman case prep center that is worth its weight in gold. I dont know why I didnt buy one sooner I love mine. If the Lyman is as good as my case prep machine it should be good. I do have the RCBS and I like it alot. Works great and is easy to use. The only thing thats happened to mine is the power cord has a large head on it which contains the power converter. Its big and mine cracked. I see RCBS has replacements I just need to call and get one. I put some electrical tape on mine and its holding together fine. But I have thought about buying a second one and the price of the lyman is attractive. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:53 am

delighted to hear that your RCBS "Works great and is easy to use." .... what percentage of the time is your over to where you have to rethrow the charge ? .... have you had to do anything to yours to improve its out of the box accuracy
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Those are good for precision rifle calibers, or small batch precision pistol calibers. Way too slow for use in producing target fodder even for my .357 Henry, where I normally load 100 at a time or more.

For the small amount of rifle calibers I load, an inexpensive stand alone powder measure fits the bill. I set it a tad high, and then trickle down to desired amount. I normally never load over 20 rounds in a session.

For those who shoot more than that, and are shooting long range where extreme precision of charge loads, something like that pictured would be the ticket.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

snell
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by snell » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm

I've been reloading since the 70s. A few years back I bought a Lyman model 1200 DPS 3 and had nothing but trouble with it. Back to the factory twice, the second time I had to upgrade because they didn't make my model any more at almost the cost of a new unit. It took forever to warm up and was extremely sensitive to any florescent light in the area. It really soured me on Lyman scales. When it finally failed, I took the plunge and bought the RCBS and have never looked back.
The RCBS is truly a joy to use. It calibrates quickly and is spot on. I check it against a Ohaus beam scale and they agree well within the +- range of either scale. I light my bench with a florescent light and have seen no bad effects at all. I single load and by the time I dump the powder and seat the bullet the next charge is in the pan waiting for me. It can make a mess if you don't remember to close the chute after empting it (don't ask how I know) but that is the only complaint I can find with it. I suggest you buy it, you wont be disappointed.
Art
1 x
USMC 63-66, ACPD 1968-2006 Currently working on my Henry collection. H006, H010 and a H004. Hopefully more to come.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm

snell wrote:I suggest you buy it, you wont be disappointed.

Art
I really appreciate you taking the time to post your experience ..... I place a high value on such recommendations
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 pm

Jim
I find that mine is usually right on and at the most a tenth over. Sometimes it will throw a larger charge and I just do it over but it isnt a big deal. You can set it so that when you return the ladle it will auto throw another charge of the same weight. Like clovis says though I dont use it for mass producing target rounds. Its to slow.I use mine for the larger pistol calibers and for rifle shells. If Im doing 41 mag and below those blue dillons are cranking out the rounds. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Jim
I find that mine is usually right on and at the most a tenth over. Sometimes it will throw a larger charge and I just do it over but it isnt a big deal. You can set it so that when you return the ladle it will auto throw another charge of the same weight.
very good to hear of the consistent accuracy .... for my purposes, 1/10th over or under doesn't bother me .... when it comes to shooting, I have more than enough bad habits to negate any such a deviation in powder

BigAl52 wrote:Like clovis says though I dont use it for mass producing target rounds. Its to slow.I use mine for the larger pistol calibers and for rifle shells. If Im doing 41 mag and below those blue dillons are cranking out the rounds. Al
we use our Hornado Lock-N-Load progressive press with its mechanical powder measure for handgun practice rounds .... one of our dies provides a mechanical volume check and for us that is close enough .... when it comes to hunting level rounds, of any kind, we do them on our old single stage Rock Crusher
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:48 am

Jim
You will like it then for what you are going to use it for. It works great for the 45-70 and the big rifle rounds that a guy might use those IMR type powders for. I have a 338 Win Mag and I love it for that. I use to spoon mine in a balance beam scale and use a powder trickler to finish it off. Thats slow time consuming work. I almost hated reloading rifle shells.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 am

based largely on recommendations from folks here and on the MyRVTalk Forum, tomorrow Cabela's is scheduled to deliver an RCBS Charge Master Combo (see link in post 2 in this thread) to our home .... when it gets here it will be put to work immediately loading 200 practice and 100 hunting 308's; along with, 75 practice and 25 hunting 30-30's .... most of these rounds will be loaded for friends and a few for our use .... as a side thought, I figured out what Combo in the title RCBS Charge Master Combo stands for ....they have combined two different machines, a Chargemaster 1500 scale and dispenser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8KW-bRuEQo
0 x