Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Automatic Powder Measure

All things reloading here
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Automatic Powder Measure

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 pm

I use the Lee Auto Drum powder measure that mounts on one of the turret stages. Seems ok, but I still weigh every 10 or so just to watch it. It is not precise though, so if you set for 6.5 gn, you will mostly get that but could be 6.7 or 6.3 sometimes, so like I said....weigh once in awhile. For my 45 Colt loads it's fine.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 pm
I use the Lee Auto Drum powder measure that mounts on one of the turret stages. Seems ok, but I still weigh every 10 or so just to watch it. It is not precise though, so if you set for 6.5 gn, you will mostly get that but could be 6.7 or 6.3 sometimes, so like I said....weigh once in awhile. For my 45 Colt loads it's fine.
understood and agree .... with our hunting level ammo, we make every effort to produce carbon copy ammo .... frankly, I come to doubt that has been necessary but can't seem to approach it an other way .... for punching paper, ringing gongs, busting skeet, and such I really don't believe I'll ever know the difference of a couple of tenths of a grain .... my natural wobble will more than overshadow it ....
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:34 am

Bit late but I have been using a Lyman Gen 6 for about 3 years. Deciding factor for me was price, the gen 6 is about half the price of a charge master here in Aus.
Im sure the chargemaster probably offers a few more features but all I was after was something I could enter the weight hit auto repeat and have throw a charge each time I put the pan back down.
I cant remember a charge that has even been 0.1gr over, it will throw under by 0.1gr fairly regularly but I can live with that as it seems to depend on powder. Happens more often with some powders than others.
I still load all my pistol ammo on a progressive with a thrower but for load development or rifle ammo the Gen 6 is just brilliant.
1 x