.327 Federal Magnum Rifle Loads

All things reloading here
GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: .327 Federal Magnum Rifle Loads

Post by GTS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 am

Mgderf,

Thanks for posting your results. I have several loadings ready to try, just waiting on my rifle.
1 x
Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:31 pm

GTS wrote:Mgderf,

Thanks for posting your results. I have several loadings ready to try, just waiting on my rifle.
Still waiting on yours?
0 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 am

I am. The distributor got a shipment from Henry, but I must have been too low on the list to get one.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 pm

GTS wrote:I am. The distributor got a shipment from Henry, but I must have been too low on the list to get one.
They're still not yet available on Davison's Gallery of Guns (Gun Genie).
They have the Big Boy .327 listed in brass receiver, with the steel receiver, and another steel receiver (I believe one is a carbine and the other a rifle length), but the number available shows 0 for all three.

They have them listed, but evidently have not yet received their first shipment.
Hang in there GTS. They are worth the wait.
0 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:03 pm

My vendor also has them listed, but like Davidson's, has 0 in inventory.

I run the cowboy silhouette matches at our local range and our season wraps up this month, so at this point, I don't mind the wait. Although I would like to use it for the Louisiana State Cowboy match in December. Maybe it will show up in the next month or so.
1 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:21 am

Well I finally picked up my new Henry yesterday. It looks great and fells good in the hand as well. Thanks to Mr. Imperato for shaking the bushes a little to get my rifle on it's way to me. I will head to the range this weekend and see how she does.

GTS
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am

good to hear your Henry has arrived and that your first impressions are positive .... looking forward to your range reports .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add it to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 815#p49815
0 x

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 am

Mgderf wrote: Last of my hand loads tried were 115gr Meister RNFP cast boolits over a mid-charge of Trailboss. These were downright fun to shoot. Powder-puff report and recoil was nonexistent. It was like shooting a long cap gun, but I still got tight groups.
My favorite. I load TB using the universal loading method - 10th of an inch below bullet base. I've even tried it in the 7mag. It seems to be accurate in everything.

I have used the 115gr Meister for years, but loaded 1000 100gr bullets of like design this past weekend from a local caster, Vance. Initial results seem indifferent from the Meister 115.

I don't have access to a chronograph any more, but most full trail boss loads seem to run around 850-950 in whatever you load them in, It's an interesting powder. And I have yet to shoot them in anything that isn't cowboy accurate.
0 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Well I hate to say it, but I think I got a "lemon"! I have not been able to find anything even close to an accurate load.

Started out drilling a new hole in a Weaver 63B scope base so it will fit the holes on my BBS, and mounted a Simmons 6-21x scope I use for load development using Millet rings. So far I have tried 2400, AA#7, AA#9, Universal, Lil'Gun, Titegroup and W-231. All with new Starline brass and CCI small rifle primers. The bullets were Hornady 85 grain XTP, Sierra 90 grain JHC, and Hornady 100 grain XTP. All loads were well within the published load data for pistols, which is the only published data there is out there. As far as I can tell, there are no significant pressure points along the forearm and everything seems to be as it should be. All shots for "groups" were fired at 100 meters after getting pretty close at 40 meters. I can find absolutely no reason to be getting the awful results that I am getting. Everything looks like a shotgun pattern. First shot may cut center, next shot may be 8" high (or low), third shot might be left or right. As I said, there is no rhyme nor reason behind these results.

The only thing I have not tried is factory ammo, which I will do this weekend. I do not expect to see anything different, but who knows. I have been hand loading ammo for near 50 years, and have never encountered such poor results. If the factory loads prove to be the same as hand loads, I will make a chamber casting and send it and the rifle back the Henry. Almost all fired rounds come out sooty, so I expect there is a chamber issue.

I forgot Trail Boss, tried that too.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Bummer. Sorry to read about this, but Henry will satisfy you. No doubt. Keep us posted.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"