Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.327 Federal Magnum Rifle Loads

All things reloading here
GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

.327 Federal Magnum Rifle Loads

Post by GTS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 pm

I have one of the new rifles on order, and have all of the reloading components ready to go. I have pages of pistol load data, but to my knowledge, there is no source for published rifle load data in this caliber. The obvious starting place is the pistol load data, but I was wondering if anyone has been thinking about loads for the rifle in this caliber.

Thanks,
GTS
2 x
Often wrong, but never in doubt!

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: .327 Federal Magnum Rifle Loads

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT, GTS. I'm glad you joined our conversation. I look forward to learning more in this thread.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 pm

I would think about trying for a little slower powder for rifle loads. I don't know if you could get enough 2400 into the case and with a magnum primer or maybe just have to stick with something like unique and count on the longer barrel to give more velocity.
0 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:40 am

While I was pondering my original question last night, I recalled that I had developed loads for a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .32 H&R Mag some years ago. I think that between that data and published data for pistol loads, I should be able to make a good start on rifle loads for the .327 Fed Mag.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 pm

I have no interest in the 327 Federal Mag but am intrigued in watching its development .... I did a bit of research and came up with the link below :

http://reloadammo.com/327fed-mag.htm

the second post in this link : http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topi ... C_ID=15889

I can't guarantee any of the data given .... hope this helps
2 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 am

JEBar,

Thanks for the info. I think I had come across those previously, but it never hurts to have a little more. The trouble that I am running into is that all of the available load data is for revolvers since no one has produced a rifle in this caliber until Henry took on the project. I am beginning to think it may be Henry's version of Bigfoot, often heard about, but seldom seen! :shock: Just kidding, I know rolling out a new caliber must be difficult. I just need to be patient.

GTS
0 x

Hogstir
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hogstir » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:07 am

Just don't use Federal brass. Lots of reports of cracked Federal brass even shooting factory Federal ammo.
1 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:58 am

Already have Starline brass, 4 or 5 different bullets, primers and powder. Just waiting on my rifle.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm reloading with Star Line brass, Federal Small Magnum Pistol primers, and Power Pistol for my .327 LCR Ruger. I've looked for rifle loads as well but none published yet. I may try some Lil' Gun in some loads after I get through running what I have loaded now to see the difference.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:21 am

I tried 4 different loads in my new .327 Henry.
I was not shooting for accuracy at the time, yet still got good groups with all 4 loads.

I used 100gr Hornady XTP pills over a medium load of CFE. Loud, but clean burning and consistent.

Next was 100gr Rainier plated hollow points over a medium load of Titegroup. Not quite the punch of the CFE rounds, but acceptable groups.

Then tried some 90gr powder coated RNFP cast boolits that a friend cast and coated for me. These got a medium charge of 700X.
Noticeably less report and recoil. A little dirtier, but not bad at all. Decent groups.

Last of my hand loads tried were 115gr Meister RNFP cast boolits over a mid-charge of Trailboss. These were downright fun to shoot. Powder-puff report and recoil was nonexistent. It was like shooting a long cap gun, but I still got tight groups.

The dirtiest ammo I've put through it to date has been the Federal American Eagle 100gr JFP.
Those cases came out sooty. Not one of my loads did.

I really like this new rifle. This will be perfect for teaching recoil shy shooters.

All loads used new Star-Line brass and Federal 100 small pistol primers.
2 x