Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.327 Federal Magnum Rifle Loads

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: .327 Federal Magnum Rifle Loads

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:28 pm

GTS wrote:Well I hate to say it, but I think I got a "lemon"! I have not been able to find anything even close to an accurate load.

The only thing I have not tried is factory ammo, which I will do this weekend. I do not expect to see anything different, but who knows. I have been hand loading ammo for near 50 years, and have never encountered such poor results. If the factory loads prove to be the same as hand loads, I will make a chamber casting and send it and the rifle back the Henry. Almost all fired rounds come out sooty, so I expect there is a chamber issue.

I have to ask because I've seen it be a problem too many times .... are you positive (make that way beyond positive) that the problem is not with your scope or its mount .. :?: .. I well understand about hand loading for 50 years, I started back in the early 60's .... trying several brands/loads of factory ammo prior to going to Henry is a very wise move .... personally, I'll be surprised if the results from your handloads won't be pretty much the same with factory ammo .... Henry specifically recommends using only factory ammo .... when you can provide them with data based on factory ammo, they will be much more receptive
0 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 am

JEBar wrote
are you positive (make that way beyond positive) that the problem is not with your scope or its mount
Yes, I am absolutely certain that it is not the scope. As I mentioned, I modified a Weaver 63B scope base to fit the BBS mounting holes, which only required drilling and countersinking one new hole for the forward mounting screw. I did not mention in my previous post that I started with an old Weaver 8x scope that I sometimes use for this purpose. I switched to the 6-21x Simmons after seeing the terrible results on my first outing thinking that maybe the old Weaver had finally given up the ghost. This was not the case as the results were the same. As you mentioned, I too expect the results with factory ammo to be about the same. I am sure that Henry will make it right, I just hate to have to go through the process of sending it back for warranty work.
0 x
Often wrong, but never in doubt!

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 am

As expected, the factory loads I tried this weekend grouped as poorly as all of my hand loads.

Looks like a trip back to Henry is my next step.
0 x

docscott
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by docscott » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:10 pm

GTS, how much difference is there in powder charges between pistol vs. rifle typically?
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Very interesting article in this months Handloader magazine on this cartridge. From what they said Federal is the factory ammo to buy. They actually invented a new powder just for this cartridge. The long slender case seems to make for some ignition consistency problems. It appears that wide speed variations are common. Not an easy cartridge to find a consistent load for. Even the factories are having fun with this one.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:22 pm

Squatch wrote:Very interesting article in this months Handloader magazine on this cartridge. From what they said Federal is the factory ammo to buy. They actually invented a new powder just for this cartridge. The long slender case seems to make for some ignition consistency problems. It appears that wide speed variations are common. Not an easy cartridge to find a consistent load for. Even the factories are having fun with this one.

interesting .... this could certainly be a factor in some of the reports of grouping issues .... did the article give the name of the powder Federal is using :?:
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:13 am

No it's proprietary. Let me correct myself. It's not an article it's a Q+A column "Bullets and brass". Feb 2018 Issue. Seems the primer is also critical in their testing. Worth reading I would think if loading this cartridge.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

docscott
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by docscott » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 am

Has anybody tried 71 grain bullets?
0 x

GTS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GTS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:56 am

docscott,

I will need to check some other load data and get back to on that one. I should have both pistol and rifle data for .357, .41 & .44 mags.
0 x

BobGinVA
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BobGinVA » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:09 pm

As far as "pistol vs. rifle" loads, go with the pistol loads...I don't differentiate. Find a load that shoots in your rifle and keep it. The pistol loads in a rifle will shoot at a higher velocity (by usually up to 200fps more). Rifles can handle higher pressures than pistols, but I personally wouldn't trust any more than magnum pistol loads. Now as far as bullet weight is concerned, look up the barrel twist. The faster the twist the "longer" (ie. heavier) the bullet needs to be to correctly stabilize. Marlin 357 rifles have a 38" twist, Rossi 92s have a 30" twist and Henrys have a 16' twist. Theoretically, and practically, the Marlins and Rossis shoot 125gr. bullets better than 158s. The Henry shoots the 158s better. Also, I'm not an internet "expert"...I have all three rifles and my expertise is based on real world experience.
0 x