Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dumb question

All things reloading here
dmanwarren
Wrangler
United States of America

Dumb question

Post by dmanwarren » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

OK guys and gals, I decided to try a hand primer and set a primer upside down due to either missing seeing it or it flipped while in operation. What is a safe way to remove it? Thanks in advance, Dave.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Dumb question

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 pm

been there, done that ..... I put it back in the press and very gently pushed it out just like it was a spent primer .... just make sure you are well away and the opening in the bullet seat is open .... if you have concerns, you can always crush the casing and discard it
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 pm

No such thing as a dumb question. But I as well have done that and did exactly the same as JEbar. Never had an issue with removing one its happened to me more that once. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dmanwarren
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by dmanwarren » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 am

Thanks guys, I got it out. I put a five gallon bucket over the head of the press so there was a barrier between it and my hand on the lever. The hand primer is sure a lot faster than my single stage Herters press primer but you sure have to watch close in case any flip over. Glad it didn't go off, the wife was already in bed and she might have been grabbing for a weapon if a bang went off in the house. Dave
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks for the update, Dave. I've had to remove an inverted primer, too. I think everyone who reloads has had to do it at least once. It was a little scary, but ultimately not a problem. I put a heavy towel over the de-capping die and held my breath as I gently pushed it out. Then, I breathed again.

For the three + years I've been reloading, I have always used a Lee hand primer. It came with the kit I bought and I'm very comfortable using it. I can tell when the primer is properly set by the feel of the lever. I also use a Lee single stage press and enjoy the simplicity of reloading with it. I don't think I'll ever change my process, largely because I only reload .38/.357s and I've grown ever more at ease working with my equipment.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:18 am

I've had a primer go off while loading and it was not a fun experience. Glad you removed it safely.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

I've pressed out lots of live primers. Never had an issue. Usually it's when one of those pesky .357 cases gets mixed in with the .38 special cases, and I don't catch it until I try expanding the case mouth. Since I use SPs in .38 and magnum SPs in .357, that little guy's gotta come out of there.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Owly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Owly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 pm

I've had to remove a couple live primers for various reasons. I've also heard of primers going off while trying to do this and damaging ceilings, presses, dies, and ones hearing. Whenever I need to remove a live primer, I fill the cartridge case with a little penatrating oil and let it soak into the primer for a few hours. This makes the primer inert so it can be removed safely and discarded. Then simply clean the case with a degreaser and its ready to be reprimed.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 pm

50 or so years ago I decided to get into reloading and bought a Lee Loader .... this video shows how to use one ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc .... yep, you insert a new primer by hammering a rod to push the casing down over the primer .... yep, in spite of being as careful as you can be, every once-in-a-while one will go off .... the first time is pretty startling .... at no point did the primer explosion blow the rod out of the casing, nor did it cause any problems .... well, none other than testing ones nerves and making one's heart race
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:28 am

I'm not a reloader, so I can't relate to the "first-time experience" you've described.
However, I recall those moments in one of my hardest and most-disliked high school classes --- soph year chemistry.
I think I understand your comments now. And maybe it's a good thing that I don't reload........ :lol:

JEBar wrote:50 or so years ago I decided to get into reloading and bought a Lee Loader .... this video shows how to use one ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc .... yep, you insert a new primer by hammering a rod to push the casing down over the primer .... yep, in spite of being as careful as you can be, every once-in-a-while one will go off .... the first time is pretty startling .... at no point did the prime explosion blow the rod out of the casing, nor did it cause any problems .... well, none other than testing ones nerves and making one's heart race
1 x

~Пока~