Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dumb question

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Dumb question

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 am

just to make sure I don't give the wrong impression, a Lee Loader is still a cheap way to get into reloading .... when you use a hammer to set a primer, its understandable that every now and then one could go boom .... I'm not knocking them, I still have mine .... reloading with a press is a different world .... since the mid 60's we have loaded ten's of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of rounds ... I have messed up and put a primer in wrong and have never had one explode when removing it .... we haven't been using our Hornady multi stage press for anywhere near as long but we have loaded thousands (if not tens of thousands) rounds with it .... I don't recall installing a primer wrong but sooner or later its bound to happen .... its easy to understand the concern folks thinking about getting into reloading or who have just started may have .... from our prospective, its just not that big of a deal
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri May 05, 2017 8:15 pm

dman, What Herters press do you have? I started out with an O Model Super in 1969 and still use it. Along the way I trade for a 234 Turret press. The two of them plus my Herters powder scale make up my handloading equipment.
0 x

BruniX
Cowhand
France

Post by BruniX » Mon May 13, 2019 3:03 am

this week end,
I had to remove two primers, the first inserted upside down by error, the second which was blocked across...

no problem with the LEE sizing and decape die, mounted on a rockchucker rcbs.
As a precaution, you have to go slowly and tighten the decape needle, but it works without any problem. Primers seems to be less explosive than we think....
BruniX
0 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm

I just toss them. I'm not losing that much $ vs safety.
3 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm
I just toss them. I'm not losing that much $ vs safety.
Agreed.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 15, 2019 4:55 pm

I have messed up and put a primer in wrong and have never had one explode when removing it
Yes - it happens eventually to all of us who reload and as several previously mentioned just run it (gently) through the decapping/sizing die and pop it out.

I have pulled 100s of rounds (unknown reloads, old ammo for the bullets etc.) and deprimed them with no problems.

As JEBar mentioned consider the hammering process of priming with a Lee Loader and suddenly there is NO issue removing them with a press!
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 pm

I've removed a few primers for various reasons. At first, I was cautious when using the decapping die, even putting a towel over it and looking away for the first couple. Gentle pressure; never a problem.

Has anyone here ever had one detonate while inserting or removing an improperly (or properly) seated primer?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Has anyone here ever had one detonate while inserting or removing an improperly (or properly) seated primer?
Never REMOVING but I had a detonation once SEATING one.
I think it may have somehow got off center or at an angle and pressure from the seating procedure possibly 'popped' it free and detonated it.
One of the reasons I went to a hand priming system (Lee) as the advantages outweigh press priming.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm

I have never used my single stage press to prime. Like you, I use the Lee hand primer. It provides a tactile feedback that I know and that I trust.

What was the result of the detonation? Any damage to persons or property?
Mistered wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm
Never REMOVING but I had a detonation once SEATING one.
I think it may have somehow got off center or at an angle and pressure from the seating procedure possibly 'popped' it free and detonated it.
One of the reasons I went to a hand priming system (Lee) as the advantages outweigh press priming.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm

What was the result of the detonation? Any damage to persons or property?
A loud pop and that was it.

Some have a misconception about primers. They do not posses enough priming material to do much of anything. They are not going to 'blow' anything apart or put holes in anything.

Remember peeling green paper caps off and sticking them on your capgun? Probably not much more than the biggest 'caps' once available.
1 x