Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Considering reloading

All things reloading here
Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Considering reloading

Post by Travlin » Mon May 09, 2016 11:59 pm

I highly endorse casting your own bullets. I have been doing it since I started loading my own ammo. Their is a good feeling shooting projectiles that one has poured into their own moulds.
1 x

ace73
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by ace73 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:47 am

Congrats on getting into reloading! Hopefully, you've been saving your shells!
I have this tumbler from Harbor Freight for cleaning mine....http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal ... 67617.html
but it might be too noisey for an apartment. Something to consider!
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Tue May 10, 2016 8:10 pm

PT7 wrote:I noticed this was your first post, so.....Welcome to the Forums from the Show-Me-State!
Also noticed your moniker says "ruger" in it. Do you own some Ruger firearms, too?
Enjoy your visits here.
Thanks for the "Welcome". Just joined the site and came across your post and thought I'd share the link. As for my username, yes, I own several Ruger firearms. A Ruger SP101 357 Mag S/S 2.25" barrel, Ruger GP100 357 Mag S/S 3" barrel (adjustable rear sight model), Ruger GP100 357 Mag S/S 4.2" barrel, Ruger Redhawk Kodiak Backpacker 44 Mag S/S 2.75" barrel and a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag S/S 5.5" barrel. Plus, I own a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle bolt gun 308 Win S/S 18" barrel.
2 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Cool Ruger collection. My revolver is a Ruger SP101 .357 Mag 4.2" barrel "kit gun," also in stainless steel. I had a gunsmith change out the fiber optic front sight and now have a pinned black ramp up front. I kept the adjustable rear, and this configuration works well for me. Also the first SP101 S/S I had, and had to let go to cover some budget needs, had the 3" barrel with rear ramp and front black blade. They are great revolvers.

There is a March 2016 thread/post in the "Handguns" Forum with subject of "My hand guns." Some nice photos are there. You might want to post a family portrait of your Ruger collection. Lots of folk would like to see it, I'm sure. I know I would.

Rugerfanboy wrote:
PT7 wrote:I noticed this was your first post, so.....Welcome to the Forums from the Show-Me-State!
Also noticed your moniker says "ruger" in it. Do you own some Ruger firearms, too?
Enjoy your visits here.
Thanks for the "Welcome". Just joined the site and came across your post and thought I'd share the link. As for my username, yes, I own several Ruger firearms. A Ruger SP101 357 Mag S/S 2.25" barrel, Ruger GP100 357 Mag S/S 3" barrel (adjustable rear sight model), Ruger GP100 357 Mag S/S 4.2" barrel, Ruger Redhawk Kodiak Backpacker 44 Mag S/S 2.75" barrel and a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag S/S 5.5" barrel. Plus, I own a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle bolt gun 308 Win S/S 18" barrel.
0 x

~Пока~

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri May 20, 2016 3:24 pm

Hey ya'll. Other than the Lyman book, I did not see a recommendation for a beginning loader book. What would you say is the way to start? I will be loading only 357 for some time. Using the Lee breech lock hand press. I want to read up on types of powder and how they function. Planning on the Federal small pistol magnum primer.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 20, 2016 3:41 pm

many reloading manuals have a "how to" section .... I know that the one in the Nosler manuals is well written .... there are also a variety of YouTube videos available
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Fri May 20, 2016 3:47 pm

To start loading get this Lee kit in paste it has everything you need to get started , 1 can of Unique powder . set of dies and reloading manual

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/12174 ... -press-kit
Attachments
Picture1184.jpg
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 20, 2016 4:16 pm

tx gunrunner wrote:To start loading get this Lee kit in paste it has everything you need to get started , 1 can of Unique powder . set of dies and reloading manual
This the very kit I bought two years ago for the same price at Amazon and I couldn't agree with you more. It has everything but the bullets, powder, primers, and dies. I bought the Lee four die 38/357 set and the quick change bushings for them. I only reload 357s.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri May 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks guys! I will look into the kit. Brass is easy, primers not too hard. What about bullets? First thought to stay simple with FMJ. Now looking at hard cast swc. This is all for target and practice. Cost seems to favor the cast, but is not the deciding factor.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun May 22, 2016 3:12 pm

Wow, that is a great price for a kit.

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit On Sale $113.99
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/121744 ... -press-kit
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D