Considering reloading

All things reloading here
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Considering reloading

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:53 am

<<<Update to Everyone, and comment to Squatch, too.>>>

Well, the "consideration" is over and I will be doing reloading....hurrah! Have done more research, reading, and cogitating. And this week I bought a new single-stage press --- the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. Interesting -- my minds keeps on wanting to say "Rock Chalker" as I'm a KU Jayhawk! :lol:

The second happening this week was when I spent an afternoon "reload training session" with a good friend, who is a long-time reloader. His reloading bench/room is packed with equipment, including an older model of the same press I just got. We "worked" and chatted for a couple of hours, and I actually got to "build" my first reloads ---- I brought home 11 bullets from that day! :D And it was really fun.

So I'm still researching, and will attentively study/read my new Instruction Manual. Plus I will be getting additional reloading equipment and supplies. Will keep you posted, and also announce the first day I actually start reloading. Oh yes, be patient as I'm treading these new roads very slowly and very carefully.

Finally, I'm already looking toward a set up similar to yours, Squatch. I have zero room in our small apartment, so have purchased a 4-foot folding work table. Will build some type of wood platform to mount the press, and then get some clamps to put on the table whenever needed. In the nicer weather, I have a small patio where I'll work. In the winter, not quite sure where everything will fit...but will figure that when the snow starts again.

OK for now.....Later.
Squatch wrote:My reloading space is an old kitchen table. I mounted my press and my powder measure to a board. That way i can take it on or off the table with a big C clamp. That way it's not in the way when I use the table for gun cleaning and such.

As far as your 50-100 round days. If you start loading some lighter stuff and specials you'll likely double that count occasionally on range days. You'll be shooting that Big Boy like it was a 22lr.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:02 am

congratulations .... you are starting with quality equipment that will last for generations .... take your time and enjoy the process
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:17 am

This is great news, PT7! Congratulations. And, you are very wise to take it slowly and carefully! You're going to love it.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:13 pm

I have my Lee classic turret press mounted to a 2x 8 with a small 90º piece joined to it. I slide it into the jaws of my woodworking vise and it sits firmly on my woodworking bench. I can quickly and easily remove it to use my bench for what it was originally built for. This works well for me, but at some point I will clear a space in the shop and build a real reloading bench.

I think you will be much happier with a bench mounted press. I have used a hand loader. They work fine, but are definitely a pain for volumes exceeding a handful every now and then.

Nothing at all wrong with going slow and careful. That mindset works quite well with reloading.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Congrats. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:36 pm

And so now you will have two obsesseions instead of just one!

Have fun, it sounds like you are. ;)
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

eldermike
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by eldermike » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:22 pm

The best reason.to reload is because you can. Shooting knowledge takes a leap upwards when you start making ammo at home.

Over the years I shot most rounds down range in cartridges that you can't buy over the counter. When I started shooting steel the 7mm TCU was the dominate round in that sport. It was a necked up 223 case shooting a 7mm bullet. Then I went over to the real dark side and got into bench rest rifle. You can shoot anything you want but like I discovered the 6mm PPC was the only real choice. It's a necked up 220 Russian.

Bottom line, you can make better ammo than you can purchase.
And it's fun.
Good luck, it's a journey.
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Like Jdl447, I bought the Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit and several die sets (.32 H&R Mag, .38spl/.357mag, .44-40, .44spl/.44mag, & .45-70). I have been quite satisfied with this set. After a couple of years, I did buy a Franklin Arsenal electronic balance (the Lee beam scale was slower for me).

I don't do any lead casting. I buy both cast and plated bullets. If you enjoy shooting - reloading is the way to go. If you reload, you will definitely shoot more often and will have more loading options than are normally available with factory loads.

WARNING: It is very habit forming!
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Mon May 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Maybe something to consider since space is limited.

http://www.thec4m3ron.com/store/black-e ... ding-bench
1 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Appreciate the link...thec4m3ron product looks quite interesting to me. I'll be spending some more time looking into it.

I noticed this was your first post, so.....Welcome to the Forums from the Show-Me-State!
Also noticed your moniker says "ruger" in it. Do you own some Ruger firearms, too?
Enjoy your visits here.

Rugerfanboy wrote:Maybe something to consider since space is limited.

http://www.thec4m3ron.com/store/black-e ... ding-bench
0 x

~Пока~