Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Considering reloading

All things reloading here
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Considering reloading

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:42 pm

I think about reloading as another part of the shooting hobby and not so much as a way to save money on ammunition. I've invested a fair amount of money on equipment, but if I simply consider the cost of supplies, then I'm saving at least half of the cost of factory ammo. But, that's not why I do it. My time reloading is spent for the satisfaction I get from it.
4 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:18 pm

^^^what he said^^^^
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Owly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Owly » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:06 pm

PT7, you are entering into a life changing endeavor. Once your first few rounds are assembled you'll be swelled with pride and wondering why you didn't start reloading years ago.
As far as the Lee hand press, I've got no experience with it, but can't imagine it being all that desirable as your sole set-up. Quality single stage presses can be had in nice starter kits from RCBS and Hornady. I've got the Hornady Classic but if I had it to do over again I'd get the RCBS rockchucker.
You don't need a large space to get everything situated. I built my bench from an old diner table (yes diner, not dinner). Built a heavy base for it with shelves underneath. That and a metal cabinet make up my reloading furniture. The whole system takes up about a 6 foot by 3 foot area (18 sq.ft). Everything is there including press, measurer and stand, scales, tumbler, loading manuals, bullets, brass, dies, trimmer, micrometer, calipers, bench primer, and on... and on... and on.....
It never ends. Although it doesn't take much to get started, you'll keep acquiring more and more to make the process more enjoyable and more efficient.
Welcome to one of the most rewarding hobbies there is.
1 x

adirondack
Wrangler

Post by adirondack » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:36 am

I find the satisfaction in researching and crafting ammo that shoot 1" moa. thru harvesting game, processing and even taxidermy . I have also done this with a recurve bow, cutting shafts and fletching natural feathers, nocks and sharpening broadheads. And of course PRACTICE!! Passing on and sharing these skills with my 15 yr old son has been irreplaceable with the bond we have created, time spent together and working through the lows of failure and highs of success. Skills that through social media and govt. regulation will probably be lost in the future. At least there will be one young man shooting deer with a 1968 Fred Bear recurve bow and Henry, marlin and Winchester rifles. With his hand me down fletching jig and reloading setup, time with his dad will always be remembered. Cant put a price tag on that! 8-)
Last edited by adirondack on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:46 pm

steelersfan97 wrote:Yes, I guess that could happen. If you are producing rounds at half the cost of factory ammunition but shooting three times more rounds than you would normally shoot, the math doesn't work out.
Plus, in my case, I was going to only load one caliber. Then I found out I actually like going through that process, so I bought more dies for more calibers and then added calibers and bought more dies and....well you get the picture.

I figure at my age, I will be dead before I ever get to the breakeven point! But, I sure am having fun along the way. :D
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Appreciate very much each of your comments, Gentlemen. I learned something from every post in this thread. I also know it's a beginning. ;)

I have now a good bunch of suggestions, based on your experiences, to get: reloading manuals; dies; powder drops, etc.; and of course, different reloaders.

At the same time, I got some good thoughts/directions on what the "to-dos" and "not-to-dos" are such as "read, read, read" -- I liked that.
Also considerations: such as saving $$$; what are the impacts of shooting more; and thinking about the "break-even" point.

But I think the very interesting comments were from several of you, who talked about "why reload." Rewarding hobby; life-changing endeavor; have some fun. All of these are appealing. For myself, I have not totally focused, for instance, on "saving $$$." I've found that generally being into firearms is a quite expensive venture. I also don't need tons of bullets, just enough to do my 50-100-round range trips now & then. But I'd like to learn how to reload as I've read so many folk do this part of firearm ownership, and that many really enjoy it, too. I think reloading might be another step of enjoying firearms and shooting, while adding an interesting challenge into my retirement time.

Thought I note one other post. There was brief comment on "not needing much space for reloading, e.g. 18 square feet or so." Well, I cannot imagine that right now in this very small apartment we live in. It's sufficient for us, but my wife and I bump into each other daily and often! There isn't any nook or cranny not being used or stored up at this time. I wonder if I could even scrounge up 18 square inches!! :lol:

Gosh, a lot to look at and think about -- it's been fun :!:
My consideration of reloading has received a good boost from each of you. Your comments were loaded with good stuff. Thanks again.
4 x

~Пока~

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:45 pm

My reloading space is an old kitchen table. I mounted my press and my powder measure to a board. That way i can take it on or off the table with a big C clamp. That way it's not in the way when I use the table for gun cleaning and such.

As far as your 50-100 round days. If you start loading some lighter stuff and specials you'll likely double that count occasionally on range days. You'll be shooting that Big Boy like it was a 22lr.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:01 pm

I think you have the meat of it, PT7.

It is just the joy of learning something new, accomplishing something you haven't done before, and then going out to the range and celebrating the fruits of your work!

It is also the joy of having another topic to discuss on gun forums. :D

Take it slow, check/double check/triple check, be safe and most of all, have fun.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Thanks a lot, White Squirrel. Appreciate the encouraging comments.

Yes, just this short thread provided much meat, er...food for thought, as well as those helpful to-dos. And I've also noticed that reloading is a huge topic area on a number of forums.

I definitely will be watchful of your sage caution: Take it slow, check/double check/triple check, be safe and most of all, have fun.

White Squirrel wrote:I think you have the meat of it, PT7.

It is just the joy of learning something new, accomplishing something you haven't done before, and then going out to the range and celebrating the fruits of your work!

It is also the joy of having another topic to discuss on gun forums. :D

Take it slow, check/double check/triple check, be safe and most of all, have fun.
0 x

~Пока~

JohnHolt
Tenderfoot

Post by JohnHolt » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:52 pm

I just began reloading. Lee Aniversry kit. 444, 44mag-spec, 243win, 223, 45acp, 9mm, 380
its a great set up. works perfectly. The lee bullet molds, and furnace are good too
0 x