All things reloading here
John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Wanted SPENT USED .50 BMG PRIMERS ONLY

Post by John E Davies » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:03 pm

IMG_5673.jpeg
IMG_5673.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 558 times

I want to try some for a pet project, as inverted “end caps” for .327 Federal Mag snake (shot) loads, which uses .312 bullets. I can’t find these used primers for sale anywhere, got a source you can share? If you reload this caliber, I am willing to pay a very small amount, negotiable. Also, if we can’t meet, I would be willing to pay for cheap shipping in a padded envelope.

BTW,I found a neat article for a duplex snake load using a .60 gr .312 XTP bullet, but those are long discontinued, and I can’t find any replacements. I think an upside down .50 BMG primer *could* work well in place of the bullet..

IMG_5670.jpeg
IMG_5670.jpeg (983.16 KiB) Viewed 558 times

An alternative solution is to cut down LeHigh Extreme Defense 95 gr solid copper bullets in a lathe, as short as possible while retaining a single crimp groove. I would counterbore the base deeply so I can get additional lead pellets inside it. I already have those bullets, and a Sherline micro lathe, but I would prefer a cheaper, much less labor intensive alternative…. Used primers.

IMG_5674.jpeg
IMG_5674.jpeg (247.76 KiB) Viewed 551 times

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Wanted SPENT USED .50 BMG PRIMERS ONLY

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:11 pm

Easiest way to make pistol/revolver shot loads is to first. get a set of arch punches. Cut disc that are slightly oversize for your caliber out of card board(I use empty primer sleeves). i load 38 spl. shot loads this way. A primed case with 1.5 grs of bullseye. tamp down a card board on top.( I use an old Lee case holder for this). Dip #9 or #12 shot until the case is just below full. Tamp down another card board wad on top. Seal with a little airplane glue. Don't use anything solid for this as it will blow your pattern. I shoot carpenter bees around my barn and shop. this load will not damage the tin roof.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:48 am

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:11 pm
Don't use anything solid for this as it will blow your pattern. I shoot carpenter bees around my barn and shop. this load will not damage the tin roof.
Thanks for the comment. I want to kill a rattlesnake at 6 feet, collateral damage to structures is not exactly a design goal….

The #12 duplex load mentioned in the article patterns nicely:

IMG_5286.jpeg
IMG_5286.jpeg (346.31 KiB) Viewed 488 times

https://loaddata.com/Article/BenchTopic ... Magnum/138

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Ratchet
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ratchet » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:19 am

Why not just use gas checks?
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:46 am

Ratchet wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:19 am
Why not just use gas checks?
First, I never thought about it! I have never cast bullets, so that never came to mind.

Second, aren’t they a little oversized, since you run the cast bullet and gas check through a sizing die to form them before loading it into the case? I know that spent.50 BMG primers will work, as per a different forum, because the primer pocket on that cartridge is .312. Exactly the right size.

I may end up just using those .312 LeHigh bullets, because I have a couple of boxes already and I can machine them shorter. LeHeigh offers that style bullet for .32ACP (50 grain) but they are .311 and I prefer not to shoot them in my SP 101. Though one reviewer says he got 2200 fps from a 4.2” SP101 barrel with good accuracy and minimal recoil. I find that information a little hard to swallow.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Ratchet
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ratchet » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:03 pm

The article I read used 44 cal gas checks for 45 Colt shot shells, so I would think 30 cal. checks would be good for the 327. I was thinking of trying it in my .32 mag, but it’s not a priority for me right now. There is a good amount of info out there on this. Keep us posted on how it works out for you https://americanhandgunner.com/ammo/how ... hotshells/
0 x