Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Discoveries that make you go “huh?”

All things reloading here
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Discoveries that make you go “huh?”

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 am

Yesterday I pulled the bullets from some test loads I wont’ be using and discovered the powder had “clumped” in the case and didn’t flow out as expected. I had used new brass which I rarely do. I’m wondering if perhaps there was some oil in the cases from the manufacturing process.

My question is when using new brass should I run it thru the tumbler to remove the oil if that’s what was the issue? For you that have used new brass do you take this step? Starline brand brass.

I have a couple of hundred I’m getting ready to load.

Thanks
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Discoveries that make you go “huh?”

Post by Vaquero » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:28 am

Like you I seldom use new brass, I did load some new 25-20 brass a few weeks ago.
They all went bang and I didn't have any reason to pull any so I can't really say.
But if I were concerned, I would just throw them in there and give 'em short session in the tumbler.
I have several bags of various calibers of brass that I can check.
Maybe take a Q-tip and wipe the inside and check that way.
Never even thought about it.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

NHshtr
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NHshtr » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:59 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 am
Yesterday I pulled the bullets from some test loads I wont’ be using and discovered the powder had “clumped” in the case and didn’t flow out as expected. I had used new brass which I rarely do. I’m wondering if perhaps there was some oil in the cases from the manufacturing process.

My question is when using new brass should I run it thru the tumbler to remove the oil if that’s what was the issue? For you that have used new brass do you take this step? Starline brand brass.

I have a couple of hundred I’m getting ready to load.

Thanks
I've only seen that problem when the load was a compressed load. Then when the bullet is pulled, the powder needs to be poked to get it loose. The internals of a new case are usually bright and dry. I think the last manufacturing step is a wash that cleans off any debris. I usually deburr new cases on the inside of the primer pocket. I haven't found the walls to be oily - neither pistol nor rifle.
But as Vaquero suggests, you can double check and run a Q-tip around.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:05 am

I did exactly that, ran a Q tip around the inside and didn’t find any residue. I’m thinking the issue may have been caused by the Hornady spray case lube I use. This was a very small batch I did and maybe I didn’t let the lube dry properly before charging the cases. I have since loaded up these cases and first i put some powder in and then poured it out and it was just fine.
1 x