Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A .44-40 sizing issue !

All things reloading here
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A .44-40 sizing issue !

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:21 pm

Well here is the deal.... Starline .44-40 brass does not have the exact case profile of the 44-40 round specifically the area that tapers down to the case neck. The Starline brass is like a constant long taper from head to the neck area where it is then straight. No sharp taper step so it will chamber in most 44-40 guns.
My Lee sizing die for 44-40 for some reason does not size that area and only the area below that taper step down to the case head.

When I fire factory ammo like the HSM which is Starline brass in my 1892 Winchester the case takes the shape of the chamber which gives it the correct looking case profile. However that profile step will not fit the chamber of the Uberti Cimarron 44-40 revolver cylinder chamber and the sizing die does not touch that area of the case. I did open up the straight neck area of the cylinder chamber a bit larger to clear the larger .430 bullet. Throat area is fine at .432 and is not the issue.

Looks like what is needed is a sizing die that correctly sizes the brass to fit both rifle and revolver. If I open up that area in the revolver cylinder it is possible it would not chamber in the rifle! Keep the brass seperate for rifle and revolver would be a pain and negate shooting same ammo in both guns.
Maybe call Starline and see if there is a sizing die like what they use in production!
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: A .44-40 sizing issue !

Post by Vaquero » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:05 pm

Maybe look for a set of rcbs cowboy dies, or at least that sizing die.
I have the cowboy die sets for both my 25-20 and 38-55.
Good luck.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:08 pm

Tried cutting back the end of the Lees die to let the case go in further but man even my carbide lathe cutter won't touch it! Called Lee and they said send it in with some brass from the rifle and revolver and they will fix the die no charge!
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:50 am

Fixed the die this morning. Took .050 off on the grinder and then hit the entry with a 45 degree carbide chamfer tool. Ran a case from the Winchester thru the sizer and it now drops all the way in the Cimarron cylinder chambers.
2 x