Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PACT Model 1 Chronograph Issues

All things reloading here
rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: PACT Model 1 Chronograph Issues

Post by rickhem » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:41 am

Another chapter for the saga. Finished mowing on Sunday and had a few loads to try out using the 158 XTP Flat Point bullet. My prior loading was with the Hollow Point version of that bullet. It was late in the day, about 6:00pm, and overcast. Had been a misty drizzle on and off while mowing, so no sunlight anywhere, just flat overcast. Got the targets set up and wasn't going to go through the trouble of setting up the Pact, but I did set it up anyway. I have a couple hundred reloads for a 40S&W pistol that I haven't shot in years, so I tried shooting those over the sensors. It read every single shot. Woo-Hoo! Then I got out the BBS and shot 5 shots of my first test load. Again, read every shot. Then 5 more shots of the next increment, and 5 more velocity data points collected. Finished by shooting two separate 5 shot strings at what I feel is my max load with the 158 XTP FP, and both of those strings read perfectly. All of this was done with only the sensors and bar out on the tripod, I never mounted the skyscreens.

So it looks like my problems were either user oriented, or environmental. The fact that it worked for absolutely every single shot fired over it on Sunday tells me that it's not the chronograph per se, but how or when I'm trying to use it. I need to learn how to keep it happy and it'll deliver.

On another note, I found it interesting that my loads showed an increase in velocity as the powder charges increased, but not in the way I hoped. Looking at the average for each load, velocity increases with additional powder, but only by about 25 fps with each increment. The extreme spread was between 30 and 50 fps on each load group, so lots of individual shots overlaped with higher and lower powder charges. I don't think a deer will care about a difference of 25 or 50 fps, and going from about 1850 to about 1900 isn't really going to matter with trajectory at anything under 100 yards, so it's down to finding what groups best. Kinda feels like I just drove in a great big circle, but at least I have the data to support that now.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:46 am

“Kinda feels like I just drove in a great big circle, but at least I have the data to support that now.”

Yeah, but it’s a fun drive. Gives purpose to range time beyond the pleasure of shooting.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:07 am

Works better on a overcast day[like my inexpensive "Shooting Chrony"]? Maybe, figure a way to attach an umbrella to cover the chrony for a false overcast. I will try that one myself next time I use my chrony. Might just work.
1 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:14 am

rickhem
I'm wondering what powder you are using to get up to 1900fps with 158's in your BB? Lilgun?

I have had a few chronograph bad experiences too. Up until recently I had a very reliable Chrony that I foolishly let a gent at the range run one of his 10mm handloads over. I should have noticed how bad he was flinching....the Chrony couldn't withstand a direct hit from a 180 XTP. The Chrony company used to give out a credit on a replacement if you sent the cadaver to them...guess how I know that....but apparently they are no longer in business.

After that I got a CED (forget what that stands for) from a guy that was buying a LabRadar. I've had a couple good outings with it but the last time out it almost got shot deliberately. :evil:
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:30 am

Yes 5shot, I'm loading with LilGun.
My brass is all once fired, either PMC or Fiocchi (GFL), and I'm using CCI 550, small pistol magnum primers. No pressure signs at all, and even the primer edges are still rounded like the unfired ones. (I check the first few with each increment)

My loads were done in half grain increments working up to that one load that gave me the 1900fps average, but the one at a grain under the max load had the smallest group. Now since I started with that smallest group load, I'm not so sure that some barrel heating may have influenced group size for the following groups, and the LilGun does warm that barrel up, so I'll probably load up 10 more at that max load and give them a go from a cold bore and see what those groups look like.

I'm intentionally not giving the charge weight, as it is above listed max load now, but it's been posted repeatedly, resulting from an article written in a handloading magazine years ago. I worked up to it slowly, and although I'm not getting what others have posted that they get, in terms of FPS, I'm not going to push further. With me only seeing about 25fps difference with each half grain increment, I don't feel it's worth it.

I have also tried the Hornady 140 FTX bullets, loaded in standard length .357 Mag brass (not shortened), and got those loads to an even higher charge weight of LilGun, but those were when the chrono wasn't giving me data, so I don't know how fast they were flying. Group sizes were comparable, not much different than I get with the XTPs. I'm pretty sure that they were above the listed velocity range that Hornady has for those bullets though. I had a brief exchange via email with a tech at Hornady asking about those 140 FTX bullets, and he said they were a "tougher bullet" than the XTPs. I pushed for what he meant by that, and he said they were made more like their interlock bullets, and that their core and jacket would hold together better. To me, that meant they would be tolerant of higher velocities, but having never used one on game, I have noting to base that on.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:19 pm

rickhem

I've never shot a deer with a .357 but if I attempt to this year it would be with 180 XTP's. Can't find any FP's or FTX's at the local shops but I'm sure they would be more reliable than the hollow points. Have you tried either in water jugs?
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:51 pm

I have not fired any of these loads at anything but paper. Maybe one or two at a swinger plate, but not sure if that was handloads or factory ammo.
Strange, I couldn't find the 180s near me. I guess some of the availability is location based. I'd order on-line, but I hate paying shipping on small orders.
I think these FP XTPs may be what I try, or maybe the FTX loads, both are close in group size. And I'm sure that after all my work, I'll either not get anything to shoot at, or it'll be a 20 yard shot where just about anything would work.
But the process is fun, so all good.
0 x