Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Large Rifle Primers

All things reloading here
leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Large Rifle Primers

Post by leverjc » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:33 pm

Target Sports USA has CCI large rifle primers for $105.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Large Rifle Primers

Post by Mags » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:29 pm

ouch!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:59 pm

Agree on the ouch time you get the freight and tax on it there .013 each. Havent shot much large size primer stuff in the last couple years.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Mon May 15, 2023 7:01 pm

Where are all the large rifle primers going?
0 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon May 15, 2023 7:15 pm

Well, the local Bi-Mart store in Sandy happened to have some primers and powders in stock today. They only allowed folks to buy 1 box (of primers) per customer at a time. The employee behind the counter (who I think might be new) let me have "the one box", but it was a whole brick! For just under $25! I bought a pound of TiteGroup (can be used for my .45 ACP) for about $28 while I was there. For just over $50, I walked out with some primers and powder I can use.

Being greedy, I called a relative to go buy some more for me. He couldn't get there until around 3 hrs. after I did, and they were down to selling only 2 individual boxes of whatever they still had in stock. Said they were going very fast. So, my uncle walked out of there with 200 more Large Rifle Magnum primers for me, for $4.99. I sure hope this is a trend....... :)

IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG (6.29 MiB) Viewed 918 times

I am thrilled to finally have some more to shoot for a little while! :D Was down to just 170 or so Large ROFL primers left to split between my .30-30 and my .30-06, and sorta "scared" to shoot those rifles much before hunts come up. Figured on shootin' factory ammo for the most part, but availbility for that can also be a bit sketchy at times........
2 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon May 15, 2023 7:33 pm

Nice score Jimmie.
I can remember when I could buy them for $22 per k, had to buy 6 to get that price, I believe other wise they were $25. But that's been a minute.
I haven't been at it as long as some, but the best price I ever paid was $20.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon May 15, 2023 7:55 pm

I had really expected to pay closer to $100, given what others here and on other forums have stated that they paid. They unboxed them from their cardboard shipping box and handed a brick to me. I was so tickled just to even get some more primers, I didn’t think to ask the cost. I probably would’ve bonked my oldest son on the head, yanked out a kidney, and sold it on eBay at this point. I was elated to see what the price(s) were when I got away from the checkout. I almost ran out to my truck, feeling as if I’d gotten away with the crime of the century. :o

Funny how a few rough years can almost make ya feel guilty about a “relatively decent” price on something that a short while ago was abundant, and has been as rare as gold-plated Chicken Lips lately……. :roll:
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon May 15, 2023 10:16 pm

I gotta believe someone gave those to you for the wrong price. They are selling for about .13 to .15 each on Ammoseek.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon May 15, 2023 10:37 pm

I kinda agree. Two and a half cents per cup seems awfully low by most of today’s prices. Dunno. :? That’s what their computer told the cashier to charge me, so I ran with it……. :)

Added in EDIT on 5/15/23:

The more I thought about it, the more I think I "respectfully disagree" with Al. :| Not trying to start a war or anything, but here's my take on it, as well as another guy from my gun club who I spoke with this morning.......

The guy I spoke with at the gun range & I both figured that the price Bi-Mart sold me the primers for was likely the price they were selling them for before they couldn't get any to sell. They possibly hadn't changed the price in their computer to reflect the "new market". :roll: The price was likely a price they sold them for before Covid, and all the other reasons (war in Ukraine, & etc....) there have been primer shortages. In my opinion (which means nothing, I realize) the $25 I paid for a brick is the price that these things really should be, or something closer to that amount.

Now, I realize that there are laws of supply and demand at work here, as well as inflation. Increased demands for primers for loaded ammo and for reloaders, increased demands due to a lot of new shooters, government contracts for ammo, and etc. drive down the supply and the cost up. But if supply IS ACTUALLY slowly returning, the price should eventually come down. I dunno, maybe to something halfway between what I paid and, say, $75 or so? To my mind's eye, that $25/K primers is closer to what the price should be than what we're currently being overcharged for. I feel that may be the manufacturers and/or suppliers driving up those prices, when primers for reloading do come available. I guess I sound very conspiratorial, but I just can't agree that primers need to have that large of a price increase in just 3 years or so.

FWIW, I just found out that another BiMart store about 15 miles from me is selling their primers for $8/100. Go figure
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG