Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Empty round...

All things reloading here
BruniX
Cowhand
France

Re: Empty round...

Post by BruniX » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:00 pm

clovishound wrote:I've never had my kinetic fail to pull a bullet. Some require a couple whacks. Pounding it on the bench will not work. I must use the concrete floor, but it works. I would be looking for something more efficient, if I had to pull more than the occasional bullet.
Also with lead (and long) bullet ?
0 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

Me78569
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Me78569 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:11 pm

That Grip and pull looks much nicer than the kinetic puller. Thanks for the tip.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 am

BruniX wrote:
clovishound wrote:I've never had my kinetic fail to pull a bullet. Some require a couple whacks. Pounding it on the bench will not work. I must use the concrete floor, but it works. I would be looking for something more efficient, if I had to pull more than the occasional bullet.
Also with lead (and long) bullet ?
Well, never pulled any long bullets (I assume that means the heavy rifle bullets), but plenty of cast lead ones. Gotta whack em hard and on the concrete, or a really heavy metal object, like an anvil.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Sun May 12, 2019 4:28 am

I have used a kinetic hammer for years, just needs a good whack on a concrete floor. Regarding no powder in case, I charge 10 cases place each one in a loading block (it will hold 50) and check that they all have powder and about the same amount of powder (need a small torch) then I place and seat the bullet. This eliminates no powder and with pistol loads double charges.
1 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun May 12, 2019 7:36 am

Firefly wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:28 am
I have used a kinetic hammer for years, just needs a good whack on a concrete floor. Regarding no powder in case, I charge 10 cases place each one in a loading block (it will hold 50) and check that they all have powder and about the same amount of powder (need a small torch) then I place and seat the bullet. This eliminates no powder and with pistol loads double charges.
I do the same, only on this side of the pond we use a flashlight. :lol:
I may fill the load block (50 rounds) but I will not set projectiles on top until a visual inspection of all cases has been performed.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 12, 2019 11:53 am

Remember something however if you DO happen to miss a powder charge, finish loading the round and fire it the primer will push the bullet out and it will get stuck in the barrel. In a revolver the bullet typically stops between the cylinder and forcing cone locking it up.
In this case the bullet simply has to be tapped out of the barrel back into the cylinder and then removed from the cylinder.
IF the bullet were to exceed the cylinder and lodge in the barrel, AND because of hearing protection or NOT seeing the bullet hit the target, AND if a next round was fired - well the results can be disastrous.
I only had one 'squib' in my life and fortunately noticed it as there was no recoil and I did not see the bullet hit the target. It was in a .357 Taurus snub and the bullet made it to the barrel so it was easy to tap out and go on shooting.
Bottom line ditto on some sort of POSITIVE powder check before seating bullets - I am with the flashlight and loading block club with this!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun May 12, 2019 12:05 pm

I load on a turret press. A powder check die quickly became my friend. Easier and more accurate than eyeballing the case.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya