Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question about initial cost

All things reloading here
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Question about initial cost

Post by ESquared » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 am

Okay, stupid question time: If you had a standard 2-die or 3-die Hornady Custom die set, like either this one...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PD1U3S/?c ... _lig_dp_it
or this one...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PCZZ1C/?c ... _lig_dp_it

...do these die sets not include an FCD?

Meaning that you just go buy an FCD (appropriate for each caliber, obviously) and put the round through this process at the very end, basically adding one last step?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:21 am

The crimp in both of those die sets is in the bullet seating die. So yes you would need to buy a FCD die separate if thats how you want to do it. There are people who crimp and seat a bullet at the same time with the bullet seating die. I dont like to do it that way. I like to just raise the die enough out of the press so it only seat s the bullet to the depth I want. Then when done I raise the seating stem and lower the die to the crimp part of the bullet seating die. Often called a roll crimp. The FCD die puts a different type of crimp than these other dies do. Theres also a taper crimp die that is popular that Redding makes. I have several of those. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:36 pm

FCDs are a genuine, ‘real’ , useable accessory in a hobby that is wrought with ‘gimmiky’ Items - not unlike a lot of hobbies. I have watched over the years a lot of useless items enter the reloading world.
Another quality item is the Forster benchrested seating die. I only have one (for .223) but you set the bullet in the case mouth and the die has a spring loaded sleeve that rights the bullet and supports it all the way to seating depth. I doubt I would have ever got one until I was given one with a bunch of reloading stuff - now I want them for All my rifle calibers!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:39 am

I don't doubt that the FCD can resize a bullet, but only under certain conditions.

First, it would have to be a cast bullet that likely was sized a thousandth or more over typical jacketed diameter.

Second, it would have to be a pistol caliber. The bottleneck rifle FCDs do not have a post seating resizing ring.

I can see where a cast bullet that was 2 or 3 thousandths over jacketed size, and a thick walled case could all add up to enough over the size of the carbide resizing ring in the FCD to cause it to resize a cast bullet. I also understand that the case might rebound somewhat, and the bullet wouldn't and create a loss of neck tension.

I have used the FCD on quite a few .357s loading coated bullets sized at .358, and never had an issue. Of course, that is just my experience, and my bullets are only one thousandth over jacketed diameter.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya