Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thinking about switching back to Universal

All things reloading here
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Thinking about switching back to Universal

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 am

That's why I bought HP38 and not 231. It's the same powder, but costs less. No royalties to Winchester.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 am

clovishound wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 am
That's why I bought HP38 and not 231. It's the same powder, but costs less. No royalties to Winchester.
??????? Same stuff and same price everywhere I buy. Right now it's $159 per 8# jug locally for either one.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:39 am

I always find the 1 pound bottles of 231 to be a couple bucks more than HP38 in my area. Maybe Winchester charges by the container, without regard to the size so they just eat the difference in the big containers.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:31 pm

I never mess with 1# cans. Can't afford them. Glanced at the case last time in the store and saw 1# prices from 28 to $36 or so. Paid no attention to which powders they were. Buying a minimum of 8# jugs you save 50 to $100 usually which is why I buy either 24 or 40# kegs when I can. Properly taken care of it will last a lot longer than I will if there is any left. I have 2 kids and 4 grandkids that all love to shoot. I can't reload fast enough to keep the 13yo granddaughter supplied with 5.56 and 45acp so at least for those 2 calibers volume is the name of the game. BTW she's good at it too. I'll pay closer attention the next time in the store
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:43 pm

I go through a couple pounds a year, so not a big deal. I never seem to want to tie up over a hundred and a half in powder at any given time.

I can get the 9 0Z bottles of Trail Boss for about $17, and Universal for $22. The 8 lb jugs are around $150 to $160, and they usually have a limited number of powders in the larger jugs. The place to buy it is a 45 minute drive from home, but my buddy and I drive past the place from time to time when we are out and about. When we are in the area I usually get him to stop and I pick up any powder or primers I'm running low on.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Old Syko wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 am
JEBar wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 am
I believe folks should use components in which they have total confidence and peace of mind
That's why I have a supply of Blue Dot that may never get used again. ;) Strange stuff.
I have used a lot of BD over the years in the 357, & 41 mags.
Never had any issues, but I do know it is not recommended to light load.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:23 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 pm
Old Syko wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 am
JEBar wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 am
I believe folks should use components in which they have total confidence and peace of mind
That's why I have a supply of Blue Dot that may never get used again. ;) Strange stuff.
I have used a lot of BD over the years in the 357, & 41 mags.
Never had any issues, but I do know it is not recommended to light load.

RP
Tons of it have been used successfully over the years and I've used my share in the past also but no more. First hand use of pressure testing equipment changed my mind for good around 20 years ago.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 pm

CH I can understand your concern, but Trailboss' unique doughnut shape fills the case better.
I've had issues with the more dence powders at the low end.
Tim
An edit about a couple grain to much.
Using IMR's formula for find maximum Trailboss loads I will always back off a couple grains as my max. Giving me as you say that little extra safety margin.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:17 am

Despite it's low density, Trail Boss max load for wadcutters is not what I would call a case filler. Remember, it's only a tad over 2 grains. I have no doubt that I could easily load a double throw, or more with plenty of room to seat a wadcutter.
0 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:03 am

clovishound wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:17 am
Despite it's low density, Trail Boss max load for wadcutters is not what I would call a case filler. Remember, it's only a tad over 2 grains. I have no doubt that I could easily load a double throw, or more with plenty of room to seat a wadcutter.
I load all handgun ammo on an LNL and use an RCBS lockout die carefully set to detect the slightest overcharge. I set it so close that the occasional heavy case web head will stop me. That's OK. I would rather have to stop for inspection occasionally than pay the price of going the other way. The lockout die adjustment allows for too much variation on small charges unless it's set very carefully. There are other checkers available but none seem to be any more accurate.
0 x