Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Top bidders for Remington

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Top bidders for Remington

Post by Oldbrass » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:49 am

Another thought, The Marlin model 60 is the top competitor to the Ruger 10-22. Hmmm dissolve the competition or improve model 60 quality and corner the semi auto plinker market.
1 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:21 am

Hmm. Got a hunch that Marlin 60's are going to go up in value/price. It will be interesting to see what Ruger does with the Marlin line up.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:33 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Thanks for the update. Yeah, I'm very curious as to what Ruger does with Marlin. Regardless, I suspect the value of original JM Marlins will just keep going up.
Prior to my discovering Henry I was big into Rugers and Marlins. I have several of the old JMs. Also several of old Rugers. Oh, did I also mention I have a few Winchesters
that are vintage? Love the old firearms.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:28 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:33 am
North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Thanks for the update. Yeah, I'm very curious as to what Ruger does with Marlin. Regardless, I suspect the value of original JM Marlins will just keep going up.
Prior to my discovering Henry I was big into Rugers and Marlins. I have several of the old JMs. Also several of old Rugers. Oh, did I also mention I have a few Winchesters
that are vintage? Love the old firearms.
Fits me a JM 336 30-30 myself and it's NOT for sale lol. How cool would it be to have a "Rifling" 357 lever gun to accompany my GP100. Haven't been this excited since I got a Henry golden boy 🤣
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:19 pm

The Marlin Model 60 is kind of a special consideration in that the Model 60 has been produced in its own little plant for many years, now. Be interesting to see if Ruger continues with the same setup for production.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:54 pm

being a bit paranoid about some things, multiple Remington rifles and shotguns having them declare bankruptcy has raised concerns .... as noted above, with some outfit called the "Roundhill Group, LLC" as the successful bidder for the non-Marlin Firearms Business I can't help but wonder about parts .... when I have such concerns I call a gunsmith in Texas in whom I have complete confidence .... he said that he doesn't foresee a problem .... other than firing pins and a few springs, he say's very little tends to go wrong with the Remingtons we have .... further that those models are so popular that there are solid aftermarket sources for those parts .... should something reduce the availability of factory parts, the aftermarket sources would simply grow larger .... I'm good good with that .... 8-)
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Updated news:

Vista paying $814 million for their piece. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 38722.html

Illion furloughs 600. https://romesentinel.com/stories/worker ... ale,104411
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:19 pm
The Marlin Model 60 is kind of a special consideration in that the Model 60 has been produced in its own little plant for many years, now. Be interesting to see if Ruger continues with the same setup for production.
Huh, didn't know that. Maybe Ruger will let that continue as is. That would simplify things.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:03 pm

looks like the Remington Ammunition and Accessories components of the business is in good hands
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:27 pm

All just speculation at this point as to what Ruger will do with Marlin. From an engineering and production standpoint, keep in mind that Ruger is big into investment cast for parts and frames, right down to the 10/22. Marlins were never made using investment castings, so how much of the Marlin design can be converted to investment cast and/or how much is Ruger going to depart from this process to keep making Marlins the old fashioned way? Take the Model 60, for instance. The entire action is basically made from thin metal stampings (you can only make investment cast parts only so thin) and the gun as a whole is nowhere near as modular in design as the 10/22. Take apart a Model 60 and compare it to taking apart a 10/22. Both semi-autos 22 LRs, but very different guns in the way they are built.
1 x