Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some Texas Facts

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Some Texas Facts

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 am

Stole this from another site. I have not verified it but seems interesting none the less:
Here are some little known, very interesting facts about Texas:
1. Port Arthur to El Paso : 889 miles. Port Arthur to Chicago: 770 miles
2. Brownsville to Texline (north of Amarillo): 956 miles. Texline to Canada: 960 miles
3. El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas
4. World's first rodeo was in Pecos, Tx July 4, 1883.
5. The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water. Destroyed by Hurricane Ike - 2008!
6. The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full-time coach at Rice University in Houston, Texas .
7. Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.
8. Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America 's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.
9. Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.
10. The worst natural disaster in US history was in 1900, caused by a hurricane in which over 8,000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.
11. The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was " Houston ," but the Space Center was actually in Clear Lake City at the time.
12. The King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island.
13. Tropical Storm Claudette brought a US rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July of 1979.
14. Texas is the only state to enter the US by TREATY, (known as the Constitution of 1845 by the Republic of Texas to enter the Union ) instead of by annexation. This allows the Texas Flag to fly at the same height as the US Flag, and Texas may choose to divide into 5 states.
15. A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.
16. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
17. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period in Dr Pepper.
18. Texas has had six capital cities: Washington-on-the Brazos, Harrisburg , Galveston , Velasco, West Columbia and Austin .
19. The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the US which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington , DC (by 7 feet).
20. The San Jacinto Monument is the tallest free standing monument in the world and it is taller than the Washington Monument .
21. The name ' Texas ' comes from the Hasini Indian word 'tejas' meaning "friends". Tejas is NOT Spanish for Texas .
22. The State Mascot is the Armadillo. An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies. They have one egg, which splits into four, and they either have four males or four females.
23. The first domed stadium in the US was the Astrodome in Houston.
24. The Beck family ranch land grant is one days ride by horse (25 miles) in each direction from the headquarters.
25. The name of the XIT ranch in Dalhart Texas stands for "ten in texas". That means 10 counties in Texas!
5 x

Paratus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Some Texas Facts

Post by Paratus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Morning,
I believe all of the above to be true:
Flip Texas east on its eastern border and El Paso end up in the Atlantic, flip it west on western border and the same happens as it ends up in the Pacific.
Anyone can become an American, however you have to be born Texan--one daughter in Houston, one son in San Antonio, one daughter in Dallas and another son in Dallas.
Alaska is quite a bit bigger - 586,000 square miles in AK and 268,000 square miles in Texas-amazing!

I have been fortunate to live in both.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm

You left out a few...
Texans think:
1. Everything is bigger in Texas... Including Egos.
2. There are two speeds in Texas, stopped, and give it hell, boy.
3. Lanes are really, just a suggestion...
4. Some of those Texas gals are hot enough to melt your eyeballs.
5. Water is sometimes more valuable than Gold.
6. There are Rabbits in Texas bigger than dogs.
7. Same with Tumbleweeds.
8. Just because you run over an Armidillo, doesn't mean it's dead, or he cares.

** I like the State, don't get me wrong here. My son lives outside Dallas, one of my best friends from the Corps is in San Antone... and my Son in law works at Sheppard AFB... But Texans are a breed apart. Don't mess with Texas. It WAS on the short list when we were looking to move west.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm
You left out a few...
Texans think:
1. Everything is bigger in Texas... Including Egos.
2. There are two speeds in Texas, stopped, and give it hell, boy.
3. Lanes are really, just a suggestion...
4. Some of those Texas gals are hot enough to melt your eyeballs.
5. Water is sometimes more valuable than Gold.
7. Same with Tumbleweeds.
8. Just because you run over an Armidillo, doesn't mean it's dead, or he cares.

** I like the State, don't get me wrong here. My son lives outside Dallas, one of my best friends from the Corps is in San Antone... and my Son in law works at Sheppard AFB... But Texans are a breed apart. Don't mess with Texas. It WAS on the short list when we were looking to move west.
6. So what I saw in Texas a few years ago was a rabbit. I was driving and only glanced at it and it looked like a 40 pound rabbit. Even though I saw it I didn’t believe it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:59 am

The wife went there for my daughter's graduation from Air Force boot camp. They call them Jackbrabbits, she laughed and said some were big enough you might call them Mr. Jack Rabbit. :P
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:09 am

I have to say having only visited Texas once which was on a business trip I was very disappointed. Here I am a northern boy going south in December thinking I would be soaking up the sun and what did I find? SNOW. You gotta be kidding!!!! :lol:

In all seriousness I was in Dallas for the Shot Show and I found the city to be absolutely beautiful. The way the buildings are lit is very impressive. There was just a little driving snow out by the airport but it was colder than I expected.

Hope to get back someday for a real vacation.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:51 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm
You left out a few...

you have to get way out on the open range to get a look a Jackalopes, most tourist never get to see one 8-)
Attachments
jack.jpg
jack.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
1 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:52 am

I’ve been to Texas just once for my son’s graduation from boot camp at Lackland AFB. We had great time in San Antonio. Like to go back again.
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:53 am

JEBar those look like SD jackalopes!
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:01 am

armadillos have spread northward to Northern Missouri .... Jackalopes are much more mobile, I wouldn't be surprised if some have made it to South Dakota
1 x