Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Outpatient Hip Replacement -- You Never Know!

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Outpatient Hip Replacement -- You Never Know!

Post by markiver54 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Evan,
Sending everything positive I know of your way. Hope results and recovery come swiftly!!
You have too much to enjoy to be tied down with this for long. Hang in there!!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:07 pm

You have my best thoughts and prayers. Hope to hear good news soonest.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Many thanks to you all for the well wishes, and apologies for the delay in getting this update out there. Wasn't discharged until after 2PM on Friday, 8/14.

Tuesday's surgery was more than I bargained for, as the buried hematoma presented itself as a pretty big deal once the surgeon got in there, and it led all the way down to the joint. SO, he popped it all apart (meaning my hip joint), replaced the ball on the top of the femur, as well as the heavy-duty plastic liner that fits inside the hip socket. Flushed the heck out of it, took some more samples for labwork, then put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Tuesday night was the beginning of 2X per day doses of I/V vancomyacin (sp?), which take 2 hours each to administer. Vanco is apparently one of the "carpet bombers" of antibiotics, which is a good thing, because they have yet to find a bug growing in all those samples in the lab incubators. Vanco it is, I guess, because the statute of limitations on how long it takes a bug to grow in the lab is rapidly expiring.

They kept me until Friday, hoping for the identification of a bug, while planning for what happened, which is "we still don't know." They set me up with a small division of CVS Pharmacies, who visited/trained me in the hospital on how to DIY this whole I/V thing at home, and by 5:00 Friday night, I had two large boxes (iced down) with a week's worth of vanco, dozens of syringes full of saline, smaller syringes with pre-dosed heparin, tubing, a tripod pole for the bag to hang from, hundreds of alcohol wipes, etc. In addition, a home health nurse will drop by once per week to change the dressing around the PICC line and draw blood samples. Beats being in or around hospitals for this kind of thing, so I'm very grateful.

So, every 12 hours, I've been doing the Vanco Drill, and it's not too bad. Better than almost all of the alternatives, I'd say. Will be visiting the I.D. Doc this week, my Ortho the following week, and we'll see how long this journey is going to be.

In the meantime, the hip feels better than it has a right to, I'm getting around pretty darn well, can drive myself wherever, and it'll probably be motorcycle time by next weekend! Clearly, all of the prayers and support from here have put me on the path to recovery.

This coming week will also have me meeting up with Mr. & Mrs. JEBar as they pass through KC on their way back home. We've decide not to shoot, but will have at least a dinner together and maybe some good ol' "hanging out time" at his campground this week (gotta work around the aforementioned I.D. Doc appt).

Thanks again to all of you.
4 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Wow, you have been handed a plateful. You seem to have a good attitude which is great. Will still keep the good thoughts coming and hope everything works out well shortly.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks for the update, Evan. Glad you're home and improving. And, I hope you won't need the self-administered IV drip for too long.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Thank you for the update Evan!!
As Ernie said, you do have a lot on your plate. So glad you're feeling as good as you are, and are able to get around.
Keep us posted and enjoy your visit with the Boss! :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Glad to hear you are the mend Evan. Maybe when you get back to shooting strength you should hang that murphy target out and put a few holes in it. Sounds like Murphy is alive and well at your house. I know he hangs around my place even though he isnt welcome at all.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:59 pm

I feel like I've got some perverse version of "the operation was a success, but the patient died."

My hip is feeling better every day, but the treatment of the "mystery bug" is proving to be the bigger challenge. Doc doesn't like the reaction to the vancomycin, so he's switching me to another flavor tomorrow. Once per day dose, no hanging bags for two hours (just a slow push - 10-15 minutes).

The only bad news is they won't do it in-home without doing a "first dose" in a clinical setting to make sure I don't have some wacky reaction, so it's back to the hospital tomorrow for said first dose and some period of observation. I'll try not to twitch uncontrollably.

Getting there!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 pm

Wow Evan sounds like this bug aint playin fair at all. Good luck were all pullin for ya for sure. Keep us posted.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:50 am

ESquared wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:59 pm
I feel like I've got some perverse version of "the operation was a success, but the patient died."
Good luck today, Evan. I hope this one does it. Sounds like you'll get a bit more than just a paragraph in the next infectious diseases textbook.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"