Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Paper Target Help

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Paper Target Help

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:26 pm

I have the perfect targets for globe/ peep sight combinations. These two black circle targets are perfect because I can use the correct size peep and globe so I can see center by allowing for the same distance of white around the black in the sight picture. Those are for 50 and 100 yards. I ran out of the 25 yard targets. At the correct distance the black bullseye is the same size so I can use the same peep and globe inserts.

What I am finding is they do not work for post sights because it’s black on black. The target to the left works great for open sights but it’s for 100 yards which is really beyond my abilities. Anyone have a good recommendation for 50 and 25 yards?
A9DE1361-B87F-4442-9DCE-1C155E7AEFB4.jpeg
A9DE1361-B87F-4442-9DCE-1C155E7AEFB4.jpeg (304.78 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Out of all my targets these are the only ones that seems to work. Those smaller targets in the drawer are for airgun.
93205A7E-D5FC-4371-839A-B8EBDC31EA52.jpeg
93205A7E-D5FC-4371-839A-B8EBDC31EA52.jpeg (344.67 KiB) Viewed 682 times
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Paper Target Help

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:19 pm

Next time Im at Genes I know where to get some free targets
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Right!! :lol:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 pm

One way to beat that black on black with a blade front on those all black bulls is to paint the front sight a high viz color or even get a fiber optic front. Not a perfect solution, because in some lighting conditions you see only a silhouette of the sight, not the color or fiber optic. This usually happens when the light is in your eyes. Best to have the light behind you to avoid the silhouette effect. (Standard all black bulls are also ideal for use with a red dot, but I know you're not wild about red dots.).

Another option for using a blade front to avoid losing it in a black bull is to use a colored bull, like an orange or a yellow. This is very effective at short ranges, but it gets hard to see the colored bulls at longer distances.

Those bulls with the light centers are ideal with a scope. That's where I use them. Beats losing a reticle in an all black bull.

Lastly, I and other iron sight shooters using a six o'clock, sometimes leave just a sliver of daylight between the top of the blade and the bull to avoid losing the blade in the bull. Takes some practice to do it, consistently, as far as that sliver of daylight, but it works.

Hint: When using a six o'clock, start with the blade directly below the bull with some light showing, then slowly and carefully bring up the blade to where you want it, visually "tickling" the bull. Do this religiously the same way for every shot. I find that the consistency of having a set routine for lining up the sights does translate into better groups.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:26 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 pm
One way to beat that black on black with a blade front on those all black bulls is to paint the front sight a high viz color or even get a fiber optic front. Not a perfect solution, because in some lighting conditions you see only a silhouette of the sight, not the color or fiber optic. This usually happens when the light is in your eyes. Best to have the light behind you to avoid the silhouette effect. (Standard all black bulls are also ideal for use with a red dot, but I know you're not wild about red dots.).

Another option for using a blade front to avoid losing it in a black bull is to use a colored bull, like an orange or a yellow. This is very effective at short ranges, but it gets hard to see the colored bulls at longer distances.

Those bulls with the light centers are ideal with a scope. That's where I use them. Beats losing a reticle in an all black bull.

Lastly, I and other iron sight shooters using a six o'clock, sometimes leave just a sliver of daylight between the top of the blade and the bull to avoid losing the blade in the bull. Takes some practice to do it, consistently, as far as that sliver of daylight, but it works.

Hint: When using a six o'clock, start with the blade directly below the bull with some light showing, then slowly and carefully bring up the blade to where you want it, visually "tickling" the bull. Do this religiously the same way for every shot. I find that the consistency of having a set routine for lining up the sights does translate into better groups.
Thanks Joanie, I’ll try that. To complicate things I’m not fond of a flat rear sight like what is on the CZ tangent. I’m going to concentrate on CZs for the summer, both scoped and iron sights.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 am

NCG nailed it, floating the bull, giving yourself a lollipop sight picture works to defeat losing the blade in the target. You can also change to 8" paper plates from the dollar store and shoot those. Just staple them to the cardboard and shoot for the center. Cheap targets. I used them for teaching.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:22 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:39 am
NCG nailed it, floating the bull, giving yourself a lollipop sight picture works to defeat losing the blade in the target. You can also change to 8" paper plates from the dollar store and shoot those. Just staple them to the cardboard and shoot for the center. Cheap targets. I used them for teaching.
I like cheap!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:46 am

With the 8” white “bull” you won’t lose the post. If you need an aiming point black marker
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm

So do I shoot the plates after I’ve eaten on them or shoot first and then eat? Just asking for a friend. :lol:
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:10 pm

I find them less messy if you eat on them first. And as a bonus, depending on what you are eating, they tend to pick up some color.
2 x