Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another scratch in my Big Boy 45

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Another scratch in my Big Boy 45

Post by White Squirrel » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:37 am

As Jimmy Buffett once wrote in a song, "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been."

Same thing applies to my guns. Scratches and wear only bring back happy memories of shooting them. To me, they are a sign of good times, just like the wrinkles in my face.

Another adage says, "It's not the age, but the mileage." Well, I want me and my guns to have a lot of mileage before we are done! :D
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:08 am

Try as I might, I'm completely incapable of keeping gun stocks from getting scratched up. I'm also incapable of not bumping the front quarter-panel of my truck with shotgun barrels following a bird-hunting excursion – I have three nice half-moons there.

I don't even worry about it anymore. It's just part of owning and using firearms.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:00 pm

I had a horse back in the early 80's that kicked my truck one time and left a perfect hoof print in the door. I miss the the truck and that old horse now. It's just stuff; it's the memories that matter as some have said. ;)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:40 am

RanchRoper, and you other guitarist probably know this, but Fender sells "relic" guitars. These guitars are brand new, but beat up by factory techs to look like something Kieth Richards dragged behind his truck. I can't post pics from here, but here is a link to Sam Ash where they are sold.

These are for Pro musicians that want a new guitar, but with the looks of something that was at Woodstock.

http://www.samash.com/1967-heavy-relic- ... gQodlR8OCw.

And no, they are not cheap.......

I wonder if this would work for guns? I could begin a new career doing something I'm good at :D
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:09 pm

All my firearms have "use" marks but no abuse.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Dutch,

Yes, the Old English Scratch Cover and the Polish, too, are still being made. http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/sf2_scratch.shtml

I had forgotten about that stuff, but it works well. I remember the bottle distinctly, too. Out of curiosity I went to my cleaning supplies cabinet a few minutes ago, and in the very back there was our dusty bottle of "old" Old English Scratch Cover! More surprisingly, the bottle had the year of 1995 on it!! :o Guess I've carried it around for a while. :lol:

Deadwood Dutch wrote:I use something called "Old English" scratch remover. I have had it for a long time and I don't know if you can even get it anymore. I put a small amount on a rag and wipe it on and then wipe the excess off. It is one dark color that blends with any dark stock and fills in scratches and dings quite nicely. I had just taken my brand new Marlin 1894 out on the trail for the first time when I bought it back in 2002 and when arriving back at my car I took it off my shoulder and I had a sling on it and I had the car door open and the stock hit the edge of the door and put a small ding in it. I was very unhappy that I was so careless especially with a new rifle, but I touched it up with the Old English and you can still see the mark if you look closely but it is not as noticeable as it was when it first happened.
0 x

~Пока~

Firearmfanatic
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Firearmfanatic » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Steve wrote:All my guns are for shooting as well as looking at. Some of the scratches and bluing wear just give them some integrity. Like a blued revolver that has holster wear, maybe I'm strange but I think it looks nice.

Most of my long guns are on display in the house because I like just looking at them in the gun cabinets.
I do plan on making the crooks work for them if they break-in the house. The rifles in the cases are secured by steel cable which is secured to the foundation of the house.

Because most buglers don't show up with abrasive cutters or hydraulic cutters my guns are pretty safe. the last numbers I read was most home burglaries are over inside 3 minutes. That doesn't allow time for working with tools.

Basically I enjoy seeing my guns and I'm not going to allow some thieving scum bag take that pleasure away from me by forcing me to put them in safes. The value of my weapons is not enough to attract a jewel thief with the brains to get them.
yes i agree with you too. The natural wear and tear on the blued holster wear makes it look even more authentic to the firearm and at the same time the dependability and reliability and trust you have for that firearm. All the ruger blackhawks for the last 35 year's all have holster wear
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:16 am

Some folks cry and moan at every ding, scratch, and rub. Others look at them at what they are, character. I shared a hunt with a retired Marine Colonel years ago, carrying a custom high dollar fully engraved, gold and silver inlaid, "Presidential" model bolt gun. It was covered in "Character." :D

He said that each mark was a memory... and each tells a story. ;)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CurtZHP
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 am

If Henry didn't make the things so beautiful to start with....

First time I noticed a ding on the underside of the stock of my Golden Boy, I was grouchy for a week. On...the....UNDERSIDE..... As in, you can't even see it unless you're looking for it.

At least it helps to tell it apart from my dad's Golden Boy when we take them to the range together.
"Is that mine or yours?"
"Nah, that's yours. Mine's the one with the big Godawful gouge in the stock! (It's about 1/8" long and barely makes it through the clear coat...)
....takes off his glasses and looks REAL close...
"THAT?"
"No, that's just a piece of fuzz from my jacket. This here. Jeez, you'd think I was using it as a hammer!"

:roll:
2 x
Aim small, miss small.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am

I guess there's a difference between being careful and obsessive. I certainly try to be the former, and I've been around folks who are the latter.

No contest: if you're careful and it gets a ding, well, at least you were careful. As noted above, that ding now tells a story.

Life is too short to be obsessive, at least in my world these days.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357