Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another scratch in my Big Boy 45

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Another scratch in my Big Boy 45

Post by Steve » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:11 pm

Got the Big Boy 45 out of the gun cabinet a little while ago. Just to wipe it down and work the action so I could marvel at how smooth it is.

I found a new scratch in the forearm, no doubt happened when I was retrieving or replacing another rifle in the cabinet. All my guns are for shooting so dings and scratches just happen. I try to avoid scratches, but it is carved in stone somewhere that my stuff is gonna get scratched.
0 x

PMC
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Another scratch in my Big Boy 45

Post by PMC » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:34 pm

The first ding or scratch is the hardest. After that the rest dont seem so bad, then they start looking used and loved.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:41 pm

our firearms are all shooters, not safe queens .... as such, I like to think they have earned every scratch and ding .. :D
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:09 pm

The first one is tough for sure.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:41 pm

I'll bet Bandit's Henry's (or any of his other rifles) don't have any scratches; at least, none that you can still find. :D
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:11 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your scratch. I hope it makes up for it in the way it shoots.

As an aside, I purchased one of my decent air rifles from a place that tweaks new ones for better overall performance. I got a great deal because it had a couple of scratches. I knew there would be more.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:40 am

All my guns are for shooting as well as looking at. Some of the scratches and bluing wear just give them some integrity. Like a blued revolver that has holster wear, maybe I'm strange but I think it looks nice.

Most of my long guns are on display in the house because I like just looking at them in the gun cabinets.
I do plan on making the crooks work for them if they break-in the house. The rifles in the cases are secured by steel cable which is secured to the foundation of the house.

Because most buglers don't show up with abrasive cutters or hydraulic cutters my guns are pretty safe. the last numbers I read was most home burglaries are over inside 3 minutes. That doesn't allow time for working with tools.

Basically I enjoy seeing my guns and I'm not going to allow some thieving scum bag take that pleasure away from me by forcing me to put them in safes. The value of my weapons is not enough to attract a jewel thief with the brains to get them.
3 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:57 am

CT_Shooter wrote:I'll bet Bandit's Henry's (or any of his other rifles) don't have any scratches; at least, none that you can still find. :D
I have a few I put the scratches on and a few that had the scratches when I bought them. I try not to mark them up but if you use them it is going to happen it is just a matter when and how bad. Most scratches in the wood can be fixed with a little time spent on fixing them. If they are bad then there is an alternative on fixing them and it is quick. Never met a scratch this stuff can't hide. :shock: :lol:

2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:09 am

[quote="Steve"]All my guns are for shooting as well as looking at. Some of the scratches and bluing wear just give them some integrity. Like a blued revolver that has holster wear, maybe I'm strange but I think it looks nice.

I agree. I'm using my new Big Boy now and not so much worried about bumps and scratches on my new rifle. Once I get my revolver, it will get used too and the blued barrel will take on some "holster character".
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:36 am

I use something called "Old English" scratch remover. I have had it for a long time and I don't know if you can even get it anymore. I put a small amount on a rag and wipe it on and then wipe the excess off. It is one dark color that blends with any dark stock and fills in scratches and dings quite nicely. I had just taken my brand new Marlin 1894 out on the trail for the first time when I bought it back in 2002 and when arriving back at my car I took it off my shoulder and I had a sling on it and I had the car door open and the stock hit the edge of the door and put a small ding in it. I was very unhappy that I was so careless especially with a new rifle, but I touched it up with the Old English and you can still see the mark if you look closely but it is not as noticeable as it was when it first happened.
2 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001