Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I must have been good in a past life !

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Juice355
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: I must have been good in a past life !

Post by Juice355 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Congrats! Beautiful rifle! I'm wondering the same thing here as my wife gave me a H010B in .45-70 this year!
0 x
H010B Henry Lever Brass Octagon .45-70

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:00 am

Congratulations on a fine looking firearm and a great reloading press. I hope you get to use them both soon.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Easty
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Easty » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:24 am

I have the same gun in 30-30 and we just got it in 45-70. Just a heads up, it recoils more than twice as much as the 30-30. We used Win. 300 gr. Factory ammo at 1880 fps and 2355 ft lbs of energy. None of us can stand to shoot it on a rest unless it is on the Lead Sled with a 25 pound bag of shot. That brass butt plate hurts! Henry needs to put a quality recoil pad on the 45-70 side loader.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 am

Easty wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:24 am
I have the same gun in 30-30 and we just got it in 45-70. Just a heads up, it recoils more than twice as much as the 30-30. We used Win. 300 gr. Factory ammo at 1880 fps and 2355 ft lbs of energy. None of us can stand to shoot it on a rest unless it is on the Lead Sled with a 25 pound bag of shot. That brass butt plate hurts! Henry needs to put a quality recoil pad on the 45-70 side loader.
owning both a 30-30 (without a recoil pad) and CCH 45-70 with a factor installed recoil pad, I completely agree with your recoil assessment .... if you don't load your own ammo, the best recommendation I can make is, unless you need full power loads, fire HSM Cowboy Action type ammo .... with a brass butt plate, it will still have a thump but one that isn't in the same universe as dangerous game loads .... be sure to add your Henry rifle(s) to our community's total at the link below

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 24#p117824
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:30 am

Juice355 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:12 pm
I'm wondering the same thing here as my wife gave me a H010B in .45-70 this year!
No kidding Juice, I hope we don't have the same Doctor !
1 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:37 am

if you don't load your own ammo,

Roger that JEBar, I just ordered my Dies, Starline Brass and cast bullets from Midway, should be here by Monday. I also have a box of cast cowboy loads to play with until I get my reloading gear. (Although when they bought the rifle they gave my family a box of Hornady Elephant Killer rounds)

I will give a Sit Rep on the recoil as soon as it clears up here and I can get some rounds downrange. (Yes, it is actually raining in Arizona).

Also bought my Grandson a .22 Ruger Wrangler for Xmas, his first pistol. He is also chomping at the bit to get rounds down range. We have been working on manipulation skills with some snap caps at my bench.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:20 pm

I prefer jacketed bullets .... the best I've found are Nossler's 300 gr Ballistic Silvertips, a very close second is their 300 Grain Ballistic Tip Round Nose Bullets .... the best place I've found to purchase them is from Shooter's Pro Shop at the link below .... they handle Nosler's factor seconds .... those bullets may have a tiny bit of a cosmetic blemish that has absolutely nothing to do with their performance .... we will hunt with ours without any hesitation .... right now they are out of the Ballistic Silvertips .... we've found that given the same powder, no scope adjustment is required ....

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-p ... jax/1.html
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:04 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:20 pm
I prefer jacketed bullets .... the best I've found are Nossler's 300 gr Ballistic Silvertips, a very close second is their 300 Grain Ballistic Tip Round Nose Bullets .... the best place I've found to purchase them is from Shooter's Pro Shop at the link below .... they handle Nosler's factor seconds .... those bullets may have a tiny bit of a cosmetic blemish that has absolutely nothing to do with their performance .... we will hunt with ours without any hesitation .... right now they are out of the Ballistic Silvertips .... we've found that given the same powder, no scope adjustment is required ....

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-p ... jax/1.html
Thank you sir ! I will check out the link.
0 x

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 am

Congratulations! Looks like you are in for a lot of fun.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Why don't you get a Past strap on recoil shield that straps to your shoulder under your shirt?
0 x