Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

NSSF: 423 million and counting

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: NSSF: 423 million and counting

Post by The Wiz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Correct me if I am wrong. The term " modern sporting " rifles is just another name for AR type rifles? I wonder how many hunters use AR's to take down their deer instead of traditional rifles that have been used forever. Please educate me if I am wrong on my assumptions as I am not a hunter. Thanks.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:43 pm

The Wiz wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:23 pm
Correct me if I am wrong. The term " modern sporting " rifles is just another name for AR type rifles? I wonder how many hunters use AR's to take down their deer instead of traditional rifles that have been used forever. Please educate me if I am wrong on my assumptions as I am not a hunter. Thanks.
MSR is essentially any semi-auto AR type in any of the many calibers. It was coined as a way to counter the mis-interpretation of "AR" as meaning an "Assault Rifle" and confusing the general public with regard to real select fire military assault rifles. As for hunting with them, many people do, but usually not the 5.56/.223 caliber for deer or bigger critters that call for a larger & heavier projectile. Imo, far too many people think a AR-15 in 5.56/.223 is a one size fits all rifle/caliber, which of course it isn't. But I gave up trying to convince people of that a long time ago. :roll:
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks Gunny. I have been educated.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:12 pm

The Wiz wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:12 pm
Thanks Gunny. I have been educated.
One thing to keep in mind in this battle of acronyms, is that Modern Sporting Rifle (what constitutes "modern" or "sporting"?) could also be hijacked and reinterpreted to mean any rifle or shotgun manufactured after about 1960. Which could potentially put our levers, pumps, and bolts at risk in addition to semi-autos (all of those designs were also military weapons at various times in the past 150 years and some still are). Some States have already moved in that direction; I think we all know which ones. Ask Ronny Barrett.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.