Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bowlers, any bowlers?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Bowlers, any bowlers?

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 am

info truly appreciated .... that's a different world than the one I knew ... I remember a couple of fellows who brought 2 bowling balls (usually one drilled regular and one fingertip) but almost all of the rest of us only carried one ....
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I have 3 in my locker counting my 10 pin hammer spare ball (plastic, so it doesn't hook, that's probably what the photo in the first post is,there are many such novelty balls out there)
hammer.jpg
hammer.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 879 times
mine is not nearly so shiny as the photo, been using it for many years. Was told that one in very good condition can sell for $500.

They now make a set up so you can have one removable thumb hole that is interchangeable between balls, I've thought about getting it, not very expensive but not all pro shops are set up to install them.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 pm

a separate ball designed not to hook for spares .. :idea: .. that I can understand and visualize .... a removable thumb hole that is interchangeable between balls, that I'd have to think about and sure can't visualize .. :?
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 pm

Have not bowled in many, many years. Guess there is a reason for that. Didn't do too bad when I did though. No offence intended, but it just doesn't do much for me.
I used to throw darts, competitively, and had some tournament wins.
Guys used to come in whatever establishment I was in and want to compete. They had their expensive tungsten, pretty flight dressed darts, ( which I own as well ), but maybe, I left them at home that night. I would say ok, and then proceed to beat them using bar supplied, plastic darts.
The reason I mention this, is that you can bowl or you can't.
Expensive golf clubs, do not improve your game. An expensive Q stick does not make you a pool shark. I think you know what I'm saying...I hope.
Hearing about newfangled bowling balls....good grief!!
Ya either got it or Ya don't.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 am

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 pm

The reason I mention this, is that you can bowl or you can't.
Expensive golf clubs, do not improve your game. An expensive Q stick does not make you a pool shark. I think you know what I'm saying...I hope.
Hearing about newfangled bowling balls....good grief!!
Ya either got it or Ya don't.
A good bowler (especially a pro) using old equipment cannot compete against a good bowler using new equipment. That was my point, bowler skills have not improved over the years but the new balls hit the pocket with so much more force because of the ball's rpm and angle of entry that the odds of getting a strike are greatly improved. Also the oil patterns the pros bowl on can vary greatly so if they know what they are doing they can adjust by using a different reacting ball. 30 years ago a 300 game was very rare, now they are fairly common place. For example there was a time years ago that the sponsor of a TV finals would give anyone who bowled a 300 on TV $100,000. Now if they do it at all the prize is $10,000

Imagine a good driver in a old pick-up racing a good driver in a Ferrari, who's going to win.

Also you can't compare the skill of a good pro bowler with a good league bowler. A pro on a difficult oil pattern can still average 210-220, put a good league bowler on the same pattern and he might be in the 150's.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:15 am

JEBar wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 pm
a separate ball designed not to hook for spares .. :idea: .. that I can understand and visualize .... a removable thumb hole that is interchangeable between balls, that I'd have to think about and sure can't visualize .. :?
A lot of bowlers use tape in their thumb holes so they are a snug fit but not too snug. It can make a big difference for your release. Depending on the temperature/humidity/etc. your thumb size can change, I can go from using no tape to using several pieces. By having one interchangeable thumb hole you don't have to re-tape each ball's thumb hole.

https://ctdbowling.com/blogs/news/the-d ... ble-thumbs
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 am

per Spock, fascinating .... I do remember fellows trying to use tape but as I recall they had a problem finding a tape that would work and yet be easy to remove without leaving a residue
0 x