Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:36 pm

ESquared wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37 pm
Yep, even though mine is outpatient, there's still general anesthesia involved, so there's intubation/respirator action.

Sent a message through the "Patient Portal" at my Ortho office this afternoon, just reminding them that I'm out here and it's been a couple of weeks since someone there said I'd get an update within the "next week to 10 days" (Nudge-Nudge!!).

There's a fine line between being the respectful squeaky wheel and a pain in the neck. I'm trying to remain the former...
FWIW Evan, I am in medical limbo myself dealing with chronic back pain needing that ruptured disc surgery. Lots of time has passed already because of the DVT in my leg. By the time all this passes, I will probably need another MRI.
2019 sucked, and 2020 ain't look'n much better....such is life I guess. My family is in bad shape period. Dad in hospital with COVID and just today, my sister ( who is diabetic ) was admitted today because of chest pain, and shortness of breath. Close to heart attack status. Tomorrow's tests will determine if she is going to need a stint or not.
Sorry for all the doom and gloom.
Hope you are successfully coping. Best wishes to you!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:53 pm

You're sharing that really tough stuff happening to you, Mark, which also echoes what so many other people face. It's just coming at everyone differently. I doubt if there is a person on this forum who doesn't understand what you said and what you're feeling. And you pegged it...."such is life."

Although I don't know what tomorrow will bring my way, oddly so far 2020 is a good year for me in spite of all the covid-19 issues. By the way, it definitely isn't perfect as things still happen. There are some serious family concerns I see happening, and my health has its glitches, too. Yeah, life is happening.

At the very end of 2019 God brought some great closure and healing into my life for what was the absolutely toughest thing I ever faced...losing my wife, Joyce. When she died mid-2017, that ended the third of our married years, during which we battled her PD together. From that time through just over three months ago, I went through my turn to grieve that loss and also struggled to regain my own damaged physical health. I actually didn't think I'd make it through the pain of those months. But it has now passed by, and I'm on the other side. So 2020 has been a brighter path for me, and still is that way. Yeah, what an odd thing to say considering.

You and your family hang in there; everyone hang in there. And remember that Evan started our "Happy Friday" thread. It will be a good way to reach for that each week as we together let the other days pass by.

PT7
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:36 pm
ESquared wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37 pm
Yep, even though mine is outpatient, there's still general anesthesia involved, so there's intubation/respirator action.

Sent a message through the "Patient Portal" at my Ortho office this afternoon, just reminding them that I'm out here and it's been a couple of weeks since someone there said I'd get an update within the "next week to 10 days" (Nudge-Nudge!!).

There's a fine line between being the respectful squeaky wheel and a pain in the neck. I'm trying to remain the former...
FWIW Evan, I am in medical limbo myself dealing with chronic back pain needing that ruptured disc surgery. Lots of time has passed already because of the DVT in my leg. By the time all this passes, I will probably need another MRI.
2019 sucked, and 2020 ain't look'n much better....such is life I guess. My family is in bad shape period. Dad in hospital with COVID and just today, my sister ( who is diabetic ) was admitted today because of chest pain, and shortness of breath. Close to heart attack status. Tomorrow's tests will determine if she is going to need a stint or not.
Sorry for all the doom and gloom.
Hope you are successfully coping. Best wishes to you!
2 x

~Пока~

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:28 am

I’m praying for Mark and everyone this year. It’s just doesn’t seem to be giving anyone a break.

I thought I was glad to see the end of March, but April 1 grew the sudden loss of a family pet at me. The hurricane report was just released calling for a higher than average season, to which I normally believe “they always say that”. This year I don’t doubt it for a minute.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:10 am

Received a call from the Ortho office (surgery scheduler, "Jackie") yesterday (after sending a nice "please don't forget about me..." note through the patient portal last week). It had been nearly three weeks since I was there in person, at which time the P.A. said I'd hear something about the schedule/planning within the next "week or so"; had to laugh (out loud, which I did) when the scheduler started out by asking "Didn't the Dr. call you? He said he was going to..." Yeah, right.

Anyway, the hospital where this is all happening declared a moratorium on elective surgeries until April 24th when this all started to unravel back in Marchl. No updates to that end-date have been publicly revealed, and Jackie says that they're in "daily" contact with the powers that be to try to understand when things will open back up again. I'm sure that's true, as I learned last night that the fourth largest source of unemployment claims in MO is coming health care workers. Lots and lots of dentists, family practitioners, surgery centers, small hospitals, rehab centers, etc., are really hurting, so everyone is eager to ramp back up, along with restaurants, bars and retail in general.

Since April 24th is only two weeks away, word should be coming soon. The surgeon's plan is to reinstate their April schedule (which they totally wiped clean) starting on Monday, April 27th, provided the hospital declares surgeries like this allowable again. Since I was scheduled for April 1st, this puts me at the front of the line, according to yesterday's call with my new best friend, Jackie.

It's unclear right now how the cases in MO and KS are going in terms of "flattening the curve," but the next few days should tell the tale. Fingers crossed.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:23 am

ESquared wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:10 am
Since I was scheduled for April 1st, this puts me at the front of the line, according to yesterday's call with my new best friend, Jackie.

It's unclear right now how the cases in MO and KS are going in terms of "flattening the curve," but the next few days should tell the tale. Fingers crossed.

sure hope it works out for you .... as in your area, all "elective" surgeries have been cancelled to make sure beds/facilities are available to handle the surge from the pandemic .... as of last week, we had about 1,300 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a state of 10.5 million residents (.01%) .... that can certainly change in a flicker but right now there appears to be plenty of open beds
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:51 am

Good news, and good luck Evan!
Will be awaiting to hear further developments. I know you would like to put that behind you!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:22 pm

Well, all the good wishes, mojo, karma and prayers seem to have worked!

I'm officially on the schedule for "First Up" on Monday, May 4th. Check in at 6:00, commence sawing at 7:15am.
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:30 pm

Congratulations Evan...Get-R-Done !☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:41 pm

OUTSTANDING .... truly outstanding
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:19 pm

Good deal. Hopefully the world will follow up with continued cooperation.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55