Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon May 04, 2020 11:56 am

I got a call from PT7 telling me that ESquared reported for surgery today at 6:00 a.m. I'm sure we'll be getting some good news in a day or two.
ESquared wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:22 pm
Well, all the good wishes, mojo, karma and prayers seem to have worked!

I'm officially on the schedule for "First Up" on Monday, May 4th. Check in at 6:00, commence sawing at 7:15am.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Heres hoping all goes well for Esquared.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Was thinking about Evan but figured I would wait till it's over before calling him.
Did not want to possibly raise his anxiety prior to going in.
Hope to talk to him soon!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon May 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Hoping all the best for Evan. He's been waiting a bit for this to take place.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 04, 2020 1:05 pm

thanks to PT7 for the info and to CT for passing it on .... sure hope all's well
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue May 05, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks to you all for checking in!

Yesterday was a whirlwind day, to be sure. On the road at 6:00, check in at 6:30, right into the pre-operating room parade of nurses, doctors, blood-typers (B+), I/V hooker-uppers, and finally the surgeon, who was THE one all the nurses so far would turn to if they needed something done. Good guy, very calm and agreed to "light this candle" right away.

By 7:30 or so, it was time to be whisked into the O/R, slid over to a much firmer bed/platform, and hit with an oxygen mask ("Just take a few deep breaths..."). It was no time at all before someone (who? don't know for sure, but I think the anaesthesiologist) said "We're gonna start your sleepy drugs now..." and I felt a very cool sensation in the back of my hand, where the i/V was placed. No counting down from 100 or anything. I just looked up into the eyes of the nurse and said "This is gonna happen really fast, isn't it?" and she said "YEP!".

Next thing I knew, it was 2-1/2 hours later and it was in recovery. I just remember saying "WOW!" quite a few times and wiggling my toes to make sure it was all still connected. There was tightness/pressure in the hip area, but still no pain to speak of. It wasn't long in there, just some monitoring, and by 11:00 or so, I was taken up to a regular room (#441), where I began to be tended to by another nurse (Elizabeth) and her assistant. During the course of the day, I let at least 10 people know my name and date of birth ("Just checking...!"). Kinda funny.

By now, it was lunch time, so let's order up a burger, some chips and see how that goes! Here's where I noticed the first side effect of one of the drugs (or maybe some combination). I had complete and total dry-mouth. That bag of Baked Lays and pound cake were a challenge. More water and iced tea to get it down. Who knew?

Throughout all of this, there were various conversations with various caregivers about this whole "outpatient" thing. "Well, the doctor has 'Release Pending' in your chart..." Come to find out the release was pending the approval of the hospital's in-house physical therapist (Tom), who showed up about 2:30 to put me through the paces. Reviewed the 3 main rules about dealing with a new hip, got from the bed to a chair, then upright behind a walker, then it was time for a cruise up and down the hallway! All good! Tom was impressed! Little staircase at the end? No problem! "You're good to go! You're going home!" Rock on, Tom!

There was another visit by an Occupational Therapist, who showed my how a toilet works (that was quick!) and we got to brush my teeth. At this point, I can stand unassisted, so she's in Tom's camp about going home, even though she doesn't get a vote. More tips on how to put on your bloomers (one of those long-handled "grabbers" which Amazon is delivering tomorrow) and such, and she (Heather) recommended I take off my compression socks when I got home, since I was already pretty mobile. Gotta love that.

So, by 5:30 or so, after a bit of a kerfuffle over my walker (regular third party walker vendor didn't like my insurance company, so the hospital just ended up giving it to me!), my son picked my up, delivered me to Casa de Evans and we had some great pizza! Got my meds all squared away with a grid to track what I'm taking when (5 of them), so now it's on the full-blown physical therapy starting tomorrow. Today, however, is for rest and recovery. My five-minute walks up and down the very short hallway will be just fine! Normal up and around for lunch and such. And, the dog's gotta go out every so often, so there's that opportunity for more up, down, in and out!

Thanks for waiting for this specialized "Range Report," believe me I didn't have the gas for it last night. Happy to report all is well and that it went as planned. Appreciate all your queries and concerns, it means a lot!
5 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 05, 2020 8:08 am

OUTSTANDING TRULY OUTSTANDING ....

we are absolutely delighted to see this report .... historically the next couple of days will be more of a challenge as the pain meds wear off .... listen to your therapists, don't underdo or overdo
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 am

Good to hear all went well Evan. Hope the day is good with PT.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue May 05, 2020 9:18 am

Read your report with much delight. I'm glad your confident in all that took place and recovery process. Give 'em hell!
Jake
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:13 am

Thank you for your detailed report Evan!
Glad to hear it seems like things went as smoothly as they could. I'm sure you will feel like a new man, in relatively short order.
Hope to talk soon when you get back to your routine!
Hope you heal quickly!

Mark
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry