Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Post by ESquared » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:07 am

Finally got into the orthopedic surgeon's practice yesterday and he took a series of X-rays on the troubled right hip, which revealed more damage than the single image captured by the chiropractor a couple of weeks prior.

Basically it's more than shot. The ball on top of the femur isn't round anymore, but has a "flat spot," which is playing badly with the socket part of the joint, which has zero cartilage. The labrum (the tendon-like ring which holds the whole thing together) is "gone," to use his word.

The good news of the day is that he gave me a potent cortisone shot to deal with the pain and bad news of the day, which is that I probably can't get this surgery done until late January/early February, just based on their schedule. Takes about a week for the real beneficial effects of the cortisone to kick in, but we'll see.

Delays aside, the other good news is that his colleague (and the surgeon who will do the deed) does these total hip replacements on an outpatient basis for the right candidates, and I appear to be one (relatively young, otherwise active, no other medical issues, etc.). Seems crazy to me that they'd send you home the same day, but further research has revealed that it's actually preferred under circumstances like mine for lots of reasons.

https://www.aarp.org/disrupt-aging/stor ... ement.html

So, a few more weeks of managing the pain, getting through the holidays without the hassle of post-op workarounds, getting the house in order, living the life.

Back to the surgeon on Friday the 13th(!) of December for final scheduling and details. Apparently there's no such thing as "emergency hip replacement," huh?
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:11 am

ESquared wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:07 am
Delays aside, the other good news is that his colleague (and the surgeon who will do the deed) does these total hip replacements on an outpatient basis for the right candidates, and I appear to be one (relatively young, otherwise active, no other medical issues, etc.). Seems crazy to me that they'd send you home the same day, but further research has revealed that it's actually preferred under circumstances like mine for lots of reasons.

amazing .... that truly is hard to believe .... at a minimum you'll need a good bit of help for at least a few days at home
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 am

Good luck, and hope you get sorted out soon.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am

When I had mine done two years ago, the ball at the top of my femur had disintegrated, too. As I wrote earlier, I spent one night in the hospital and was discharged the next day. They required someone to spend the night with me just in case I had any aftereffects, so my brother volunteered for babysitting duty. Then, for about a week or so, a PT came to the house each day to watch and evaluate as I did a series of activities. There were a few restrictions at first, like not crossing my legs, bending down, or carrying anything heavier than 25 lbs.

FYI, I was also restricted from driving for several weeks, but I stocked up on food and supplies beforehand, so it wasn't much of a burden.

Good luck. You'll do just fine.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:52 am

Modern medicine is amazing. I had my aortal anurism repaired at the Mayo two months ago and spent one night in the hospital and was up and around within 24 hours.
I had very little pain.
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:15 am

Hang in there Evan. Hope the shot works to help you get through the delay. I know it will all go smoothly and you will rebound very fast! I certainly wish you well through it all.
FWIW I know of a practice in Florida, ( Banati Clinic ) that does back surgeries on an out patient basis. When I have mine, I would like to go there. I have to be clear of my DVT before I can have it done though. Blood thinners and surgeries don't mix.
I guess out patient surgeries are not un-common these days.
Anyway...will be thinking about you and wishing you the best. Hope to talk soon!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:24 am

Soon you will be the million dollar man then. A man of steel. Keep us posted Evan and I wish you nothing but the best. Hope the shot kicks in for the pain soon. In the mean time maybe Randy will send you some Buffalo Trace.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 am

Dang Evan, that's a lot going on! Wishing you the best. I'll be in contact thru the holidays and such. Take care.
1 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 am

I've had both knees done. Surgery is a piece 'o cake. Go in early in the morning, get comfy in the trapdoor hospital jammies, get knocked out, and you wake up a few hours later with new parts! Is there pain, yes. But most folks here are tough old coots and you'll manage. But, and I cannot stress this enough - DO THE REHAB!! Do EVERYTHING they tell you to do. Force yourself to do ALL the exercises. Trust me, you'll thank me later. Successful rehab makes all the difference in successful joint replacement. After 3-4 months you'll be good as new with a new scar to show the grandkids!! Best of Luck!!
2 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:07 pm

I guess it depends on where you are and the type surgery as to how quickly they can get you done. A few years back I had hernia surgery. Not anything urgent, just time to have it done. Saw the surgeon a couple weeks after talking to my GP. Surgery was scheduled for about 3 weeks after surgeon visit. I was in the hospital about 2 1/2 hours. Biggest issue was the side effects of the pain meds they gave me. I only took 3 oxy pills total. Will avoid them like the plague from now on. The nausea and constipation were worse than the pain, which wasn't all that bad.

Some places have waiting periods measured in years for joint replacement.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya