Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Outpatient Hip Replacement...

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm

When my wife had her knee replacement the cryotherapy equipment was provided by the hospital. We still have it. I'm sure the insurance got charged handsomely for it.
ESquared wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:27 pm
JEBar wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 pm
following knee replacement surgery, I came home from the hospital with a Cold Water Therapy Ice Machine similar to the one shown in this link >>> [url]https://www.amazon.com/Cryotherapy-Circ ... flammation.... they say it can be used for hip replacement .... all I can tell you is its a tremendous help
Wow, Jim, that's quite the piece of equipment! I'll be shocked if this doc doesn't have a "preferred method" of dealing with his outpatients' post-op therapies. Will learn more on Friday, the 13th! This is all great stuff, though! Just more to add to my Q&A List!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Mags wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm
When my wife had her knee replacement the cryotherapy equipment was provided by the hospital. We still have it. I'm sure the insurance got charged handsomely for it.

same here .... it wasn't something we bought separately .... knowing what I know now, if they hadn't of provided one, we would have bought one .... there is no doubt to me that doing so would have been worth every cent
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:46 pm

I have one, too. It was prescribed to help recover from spinal fusion surgery. I agree, it's a wonderful treatment; we also used frozen water bottles instead of ice to cool the water. I laid on it for weeks. Mine circulates the water through the system intermittently, which was helpful. I didn't even think about using it when I had my hip surgery. Duh! It certainly would have helped.
JEBar wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm
its really a pretty simple device .... a cooler which you fill with ice and water (we found that freezing plastic Coke bottles and adding them to the mix make the cold water last longer) .... turn it on and it circulates the cold water through a hose to a pad that is designed to wrap around the body part, and then a different hose takes the water back to the cooler .... no dealing with wet bags of ice and all of the mess that can cause .... it really works well
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:43 pm

ESquared wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 am
I'm sure lots of interesting stuff goes on that we never even think about. I wonder what kind of music my doc pipes into the O.R.?
Better that you never find out!! I had heard of this before, luckily it's very rare.

https://mosaicscience.com/story/anaesth ... paralysed/
0 x

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:15 am

I hope you do well. I’ve heard of a lot of people who have been very happy they had the surgery and the fact that it is now an outpatient surgery, I think says a lot about the expected outcomes.

There’s a lot to be said for outpatient surgery. It helps get you away from all those nasties that have a chance to incubate in the hospitals. Don’t get me wrong, certainly the hospital staffs do everything they can to keep them away, but it can certainly be an uphill battle for them based on sheer numbers.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm

PatientWolf wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:15 am
There’s a lot to be said for outpatient surgery. It helps get you away from all those nasties that have a chance to incubate in the hospitals.
My son's neighbor is in biomed sales, which means he sells all the pieces and parts that surgeons use in these joint replacements. Spent a half hour on the phone with him last night, picking his brain about all the ins and outs of this, as he's been in the O.R. hundreds of times over his 2 decades in the business.
You're absolutely right: the #1 complication is post-op infection, followed by dislocation of the replaced joint. The technology has come so far that outpatient joint surgeries are a win/win for everyone. Lower infection rates, lower costs, more rapid road to rehab, etc.

Very helpful conversation; at least reaffirmed that I'm asking the right questions. Best of all, another one of those "It'll change your life" conversations.
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:17 am

Finally got in to see the actual surgeon on Friday (the 13th!), and he aced the interview, I'm happy to say. Nice guy, straight shooter, been doing this for 10 years, does about 100 hips and 200 knees per year, so he knows his way around the O.R.
He agrees I'm a good candidate for outpatient, and would prefer to do it in one of his surgery centers vs. a hospital. In his world, "outpatient" means early AM surgery/out-the-door by 1:00 pm or so, and he won't do one after 3:00pm. Couldn't nail him down on recovery expectations, as the paths are so filled with variables.
So, now they work out pre-authorization and surgery center approvals with the insurance folks, and we book a date. Probably 30-45 days out, if the insurance stuff goes through in a timely manner (no assurances, just hope, for now).
4 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:30 am

Always a must to find a doctor you're comfortable with. Glad you were able to do that.
Hope you are able to get it scheduled soon and work out the insurance issues. Keep us in the loop Evan.
Glad you chimed in!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks for the update, Evan I've been thinking about you. Glad you've started the ball rolling. Keep us posted.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Good luck. I think I'll ask for toggle linkage in my knees when the time comes. Just slide the caps off, a little Rem oil and I'm good to go....
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully